Friday, February 18, 2022

today's meditation (Ps.119:129-144) Looking to God

(Dear Lord Jesus, guide me and give me insight as I read and study Your word, and let it be the meditation of my heart...)

(Psalm 119:129-144) 
129 Your testimonies are wonderful;
       Therefore my soul complies with them.
130 The unfolding of Your words gives light;
       It gives understanding to the simple.
131 I opened my mouth wide and panted,
       For I longed for Your commandments.
132 Turn to me and be gracious to me,
       As is right for those who love Your name.
133 Establish my footsteps in Your word,
       And do not let any wrongdoing have power over me.
134 Redeem me from oppression by man,
       So that I may keep Your precepts.
135 Make Your face shine upon Your servant,
       And teach me Your statutes.
136 My eyes shed streams of water,
       Because they do not keep Your Law.
137 You are righteous, Lord,
       And Your judgments are right.
138 You have commanded Your testimonies in righteousness 
       And great faithfulness.
139 My zeal has consumed me,
       Because my enemies have forgotten Your words.
140 Your word is very pure,
       Therefore Your servant loves it.
141 I am small and despised,
       Yet I do not forget Your precepts.
142 Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness,
       And Your Law is truth.
143 Trouble and anguish have come upon me,
       Yet Your commandments are my delight.
144 Your testimonies are righteous forever;
       Give me understanding that I may live.
TODAY'S THOUGHTS AND MEDITATION:
The word "they" in verse 136 has me a little confused, so I want to process this a bit.  David could have been talking about the sorrow he felt because other people did not keep God's Law;  or he could have been talking about the remorse he felt because his own eyes struggled to keep God's Law.  Either one would make sense, and both are correct within the context of this passage, as well as the entire Bible.
We should feel sad when those around us live in sin, and we should feel remorse when we ourselves sin.  These are the things of darkness, so then we need to look to God and His word!  God's word is wonderful, righteous, pure, truth, unchanging, and gives us light and understanding for every circumstance.  Our delight is not just in reading and studying the Bible, but when we live according to God's will, we will live in His strength, courage and joy! 

No comments: