Thursday, January 17, 2019

praying effectively: Keep Your Vows (Num., Deut.)

(Numbers 30:2)  If a man makes a vow to the Lord, or takes an oath to bind himself with a binding obligation, he shall not violate his word; he shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth.

(Deuteronomy 23:21-23)  “When you make a vow to the Lord your God, you shall not delay to pay it, for it would be sin in you, and the Lord your God will surely require it of you. 22 However, if you refrain from vowing, it would not be sin in you. 23 You shall be careful to perform what goes out from your lips, just as you have voluntarily vowed to the Lord your God, what you have promised.

Reminder:  "praying effectively" involves knowing God's will.  When we pray in His will (in His name), He may choose to not answer those prayers in the time period that we would like, or HOW we would like - but He will answer those prayers!

It is God's will:
- that we are careful when we make vows and promises
- that we keep your vows and promises

Today's prayer:

 Dear Lord Jesus, help me to take it seriously when I make a vow or promise, so that I will actually carry it out.

My marriage vow is something I take very seriously, and promises I make to other people have more of an accountability factor;  but the smaller promises that I make to myself (and to You) - help me to see that those are just as serious.

My word should be truthful and faithful.  So no matter "how small" I consider something, I confess and apologize for breaking promises - thinking that it's okay because it wasn't really such a big deal.  But how I hold to vows and promises, no matter how small, reflects not only on me, but also on my testimony of You.

Thank You so much for Your grace!  May I never take that for granted!  Amen.

No comments: