Friday, December 14, 2018

praying effectively: Do Not Murder (Ex., Deut.)

(Exodus 20:13, Deuteronomy 5:17)  “You shall not murder."

Reminder:  "praying effectively" involves knowing God's will.  When we pray in His will (in His name), He may choose to not answer those prayers in the time period that we would like, or HOW we would like - but He will answer those prayers!

It is God's will:  that we do not murder

Today's prayer:

Dear Lord Jesus, this sounds so "simple" and obvious;  but I know that in my heart, I have been guilty of "murder".  I confess that is wrong.  Forgive me for even thinking those thoughts!

And when I feel tempted to hate someone, even if there seems to be a valid reason, help me to forgive them immediately so that I do not store up ill-will towards anyone, or store up useless bitterness within myself.

Help me to care!  To be caring towards others!...  Wow!  Epiphany!  I was just trying to process something in my life this week, and maybe this is the answer to why I can come across so negative, critical and skeptical.

As I think back to my childhood, I can remember all the "constructive feedback" that I got from various people who meant well, and the negative comments that I got from those who didn't mean well... a lot of which perhaps "killed" a part of my spirit???  Please forgive those people FOR ME that I can find a release from all those harsh words, and find a renewal of "life" in the area of my spirit which was downtrodden.

Help me as I go forward to NOT kill the spirit of others with negative or critical words;  but that I might be a positive and encouraging influence to all those around me.

Thank You for how You bring those dark things to light.  How You forgave, even though essentially I was guilty of putting You on the cross.  Thank You for Your work on the cross so that we could have eternal life.  Thank You for Your most generous gift of mercy and grace!  Amen.

No comments: