Thursday, December 27, 2018

praying effectively: Do Not Blaspheme (Num.15)

(Numbers 15:27-31)  ‘Also if one person sins unintentionally, then he shall offer a one year old female goat for a sin offering. 28 The priest shall make atonement before the Lord for the person who goes astray when he sins unintentionally, making atonement for him that he may be forgiven. 29 You shall have one law for him who does anything unintentionally, for him who is native among the sons of Israel and for the alien who sojourns among them. 30 But the person who does anything defiantly, whether he is native or an alien, that one is blaspheming the Lord; and that person shall be cut off from among his people. 31 Because he has despised the word of the Lord and has broken His commandment, that person shall be completely cut off; his guilt will be on him.’”

Reminder:  "praying effectively" involves knowing God's will.  When we pray in His will (in His name), He may choose to not answer those prayers in the time period that we would like, or HOW we would like - but He will answer those prayers!

It is God's will:
- that we do not blaspheme (commit sins defiantly)
- that we repent when we sin (defiantly or unintentionally)

Today's prayer:

Dear Lord Jesus, I do desire to be obedient, but help me to always desire following Your commandments and being obedient.

Help me realize my unintentional sins early on, so that I may confess those and work on changing my behavior.

I confess that there are times I choose to sin even when I know full well that it is sin.  I'm so sorry that I do that.  Thank You for Your forgiveness and grace, that You hold my salvation in Your hands for all eternity, and that there is nothing I can do to undo that.  Forgive me for taking my eternal security for granted.

Help me to recognize when other people are sinning defiantly.  Not only so that I might avoid the temptation of joining in on that behavior, or acting like that behavior is acceptable;  but that I might - in Your love and guidance - speak to them about their destructive ways in order to bring about a spiritual healing and reconciliation when and if You give me that opportunity.

And when they choose not to change their behavior, help them realize that I still love them, even though I am not going to fellowship closely with them as a fellow Christian until they do change their ways.

I know several fellow Christians who have chosen to act defiantly.  Some have even decided that they are now atheists.  Maybe they were never Christians to begin with, but whatever the case, You know their hearts.  Convict them and guide them to Your truth.  Help them see that Your ways are right.  Help them see their need for You in their lives.  Amen.

No comments: