Monday, February 11, 2019

praying effectively: Do Homage to the Son (Ps.2)

(Psalm 2:1-12) 
 Why are the nations in an uproar and the peoples devising a vain thing?
The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers take counsel together against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying,
“Let us tear their fetters apart and cast away their cords from us!”
He who sits in the heavens laughs, the Lord scoffs at them.
Then He will speak to them in His anger and terrify them in His fury, saying,
“But as for Me, I have installed My King upon Zion, My holy mountain.”
“I will surely tell of the decree of the LordHe said to Me, ‘You are My Son, today I have begotten You.
‘Ask of Me, and I will surely give the nations as Your inheritance, and the very ends of the earth as Your possession.
‘You shall break them with a rod of iron, You shall shatter them like earthenware.’”
10 Now therefore, O kings, show discernment; take warning, O judges of the earth.
11 Worship the Lord with reverence and rejoice with trembling.
12 Do homage to the Son, that He not become angry, and you perish in the way, for His wrath may soon be kindled. How blessed are all who take refuge in Him!

Reminder:  "praying effectively" involves knowing God's will.  When we pray in His will (in His name), He may choose to not answer those prayers in the time period that we would like, or HOW we would like - but He will answer those prayers!

It is God's will:
- that God has established Jesus as King of kings, and one day He will come to bring justice to the earth, to sit on His earthly throne and fulfill the rest of His promises to Israel (2:6-9)
- that judges and leaders should be discerning and heed God's warnings (2:10)
- that we take refuge in Jesus (2:12)
- that we do homage to Jesus (2:12)
- that we worship the Lord with reverence (2:11)
- that we rejoice with trembling (2:11)

Today's prayer:

Dear Lord Jesus, You are fearfully awesome!  I am so thankful that You are enthroned above all, because You are just and You are loving!  You protect and You care.

Help me to stay off of my personal throne - and always have You sitting there - protecting me and guiding me towards Your purpose.  Amen.

No comments: