Saturday, February 9, 2019

praying effectively: Delight in the Law of the Lord (Ps.1)

(Psalm 1:1-6)
 How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night.
He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers.
The wicked are not so, but they are like chaff which the wind drives away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.

Reminder:  "praying effectively" involves knowing God's will.  When we pray in His will (in His name), He may choose to not answer those prayers in the time period that we would like, or HOW we would like - but He will answer those prayers!

It is God's will:
- that we avoid evil or participating in evil (1:1)
- that we delight and meditate on the law of the Lord (1:2)

Today's prayer:

Dear Lord Jesus, You love us so much, You have given us guidance.  Your laws are just and practical.  When we apply them - they work!!!  Which is a blessing in itself.  I know!  I have tried it the world's way, and my way, and Your way... and Your way is always the right way.  Your way is the only way that works!

Keep me from evil.  Keep me from straying onto the path of evil.  Give me courage to not participate in evil.  Help me to keep my eyes fixed on You and Your word, so that I stay on Your path of righteousness;  so that I remain firmly planted in Your strength and wisdom.  Amen.

No comments: