Saturday, April 29, 2017

JESUS the King and Judge (Ps.89, 96)

David reminds God about His covenant to him and the Israelites in Psalm 89...
(Psalm 89:19-29)  Once You spoke in vision to Your godly ones, and said, “I have given help to one who is mighty;  I have exalted one chosen from the people.
20 “I have found David My servant; with My holy oil I have anointed him,
21 With whom My hand will be established;  My arm also will strengthen him.
22 “The enemy will not deceive him, nor the son of wickedness afflict him.
23 “But I shall crush his adversaries before him, and strike those who hate him.
24 “My faithfulness and My lovingkindness will be with him, and in My name his horn will be exalted.
25 “I shall also set his hand on the sea and his right hand on the rivers.
26 “He will cry to Me, ‘You are my Father, my God, and the rock of my salvation.’
27 “I also shall make him My firstborn, the highest of the kings of the earth.
28 “My lovingkindness I will keep for him forever, and My covenant shall be confirmed to him.
29 “So I will establish his descendants forever and his throne as the days of heaven..."

Not that we need to remind God of anything...  I believe it's more about reminding ourselves what God has said and done.  This then can give us more faith and confidence in going to God with certain requests.  Throughout many of these psalms, David asks God for deliverance (not just from trials and tests, but also from sin).  As well, David writes many praises to God, not only for what He has done, but what He is going to do - how God has delivered and how God will deliver in the future...

 (Psalm 96:11-13)  Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice;  let the sea roar, and all it contains;
12 Let the field exult, and all that is in it.  Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy
13 Before the Lordfor He is coming, for He is coming to judge the earth.  He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in His faithfulness.

We know this is prophetic.  We see Jesus coming from heaven to judge the nations after the battle of Armageddon in Revelation 19:11-17, which is also described in Matthew 25:31-46.  Jesus will also act as judge at the Great White Throne Judgement...

(Revelation 20:11-15)  Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

He is just and faithful - and loving.  God wants to have a personal relationship with each one of us.  He wants to adopt us as children of God, and save us from His judgments.  This is why He came to die for us!

(John 3:16-17)  For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

And so, He provides redemption, so that we can avoid that judgement and that eternal punishment...

(Acts 10:42-43)  "...And He (God) ordered us to preach to the people, and solemnly to testify that this is the One who has been appointed by God as Judge of the living and the dead. 43 Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins.”

No comments: