Thursday, November 4, 2021

today's meditation (Ps.42) Asking the Right Questions

(Dear Lord Jesus, guide me and give me insight as I read and study Your word, and let it be the meditation of my heart...)

(Psalm 42:1-11)  As the deer pants for the water brooks,

     So my soul pants for You, God.
2   My soul thirsts for God, for the living God;
     When shall I come and appear before God?
3   My tears have been my food day and night,
     While they say to me all day long, “Where is your God?”
4   I remember these things and pour out my soul within me.
     For I used to go over with the multitude and walk them to the house of God,
     With a voice of joy and thanksgiving, a multitude celebrating a festival.

5   Why are you in despair, my soul?
     And why are you restless within me?
     Wait for God, for I will again praise Him 
     For the help of His presence, my God.
6   My soul is in despair within me;
     Therefore I remember You from the land of the Jordan
     And the peaks of Hermon, from Mount Mizar.
7   Deep calls to deep at the sound of Your waterfalls;
     All Your breakers and Your waves have passed over me.
8   The Lord will send His goodness in the daytime;
     And His song will be with me in the night,
     A prayer to the God of my life.

9   I will say to God my rock, “Why have You forgotten me?
     Why do I go about mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?”
10 As a shattering of my bones, my adversaries taunt me,
     While they say to me all day long, “Where is your God?”
11 Why are you in despair, my soul?
     And why are you restless within me?
     Wait for God, for I will again praise Him
     For the help of His presence, my God.

TODAY'S THOUGHTS AND MEDITATION:
Notice that David's enemies were trying to cause doubt as to the existence of God by asking "WHERE is your God?"  Meanwhile, David knew that God is always there, so he continued to talk with the Lord, asking Him the why and when questions, which is a very human response.
When in despair, it helps to remember the amazing things that God has done in the past, and then wait on Him to do amazing things right now and in the future.  Even while feeling down, we can tell ourselves to look up and focus on the Lord.  If we just wallow in our personal pity parties, we will remain stuck;  but if we focus on the Lord and live in His will, we will experience His peace and joy.  
Consider any feelings of despair as a thirst for God!  When we are thirsty, we will seek out and drink water so that we are satisfied!  So let us continuously drink in the Lord's goodness!  As we study His word, and grow closer to Him, He is faithful to put a song of praise in our hearts!  We will be able to celebrate!

No comments: