Wednesday, October 13, 2021

today's meditation (Psalm 23) Finding Security With the Shepherd

(Dear Lord Jesus, guide me and give me insight as I read and study Your word, and let it be the meditation of my heart...)

(Psalm 23:1-6)  The Lord is my shepherd,

     I will not be in need.
2   He lets me lie down in green pastures;
     He leads me beside quiet waters.
3   He restores my soul;
     He guides me in the paths of righteousness 
     For the sake of His name.

4   Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
     I fear no evil, for You are with me;
     Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
5   You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
     You have anointed my head with oil;
     My cup overflows.
6   Certainly goodness and faithfulness will follow me all the days of my life,
     And my dwelling will be in the house of the Lord forever.

TODAY'S THOUGHTS AND MEDITATION:
God's "rod and staff" are not just to keep evil away from us, but to keep us away from evil.  A shepherd uses his staff to not only beat off dangerous animals, but he uses the crook of the staff to pull sheep out of snags and off of dangerous ledges.  So we have this lovely picture of God protecting us from danger, sometimes warding off evil, and sometimes pulling us away from evil.
The rod is used as a symbol of discipline, and we know that God disciplines those He loves (Proverbs 3:12).  God punishes the unbelievers, but disciplines His children.  This is also a form of protection - to protect us from ourselves - from our own sinful actions!  Being disciplined should and will be uncomfortable!  It helps us to remember that when we sin, there are consequences.  For believers, these consequences will only happen now, before we graduate to heaven.
When believers get to heaven, we will not be scolded or disciplined.  We will be home with our heavenly Father for all eternity, where there is no evil.  God will pull us up to heaven with His staff, and will also make sure that all evil and unbelievers do not enter.  There will not be any sin in heaven.  There will only be God's goodness, because of our faith in Christ... because of HIS goodness and faithfulness!  Accepting Jesus' free gift of salvation is the ultimate protection!

No comments: