Wednesday, October 6, 2021

today's meditation (Psalm 17) Putting Things Into Perspective

(Dear Lord Jesus, guide me and give me insight as I read and study Your word, and let it be the meditation of my heart...)

(Psalm 17:1-15)  Hear a just cause, Lord, give Your attention to my cry;

     Listen to my prayer, which is not from deceitful lips.
2   Let my judgment come forth from Your presence;
     Let Your eyes look with integrity.
3   You have put my heart to the test;
     You have visited me by night;
     You have sifted me and You find nothing;
     My intent is that my mouth will not offend.
4   As for the works of mankind, by the word of Your lips
     I have kept from the ways of the violent.
5   My steps have held to Your paths.
     My feet have not slipped.

6   I have called upon You, for You will answer me, God;
     Incline Your ear to me, hear my speech.
7   Show Your wonderful faithfulness,
     Savior of those who take refuge at Your right hand 
     From those who rise up against them.
8   Keep me as the apple of the eye;
     Hide me in the shadow of Your wings 
9   From the wicked who deal violently with me,
     My deadly enemies who surround me.
10 They have closed their unfeeling hearts,
     With their mouths they speak proudly.
11 They have now surrounded us in our steps;
     They set their eyes to cast us down to the ground.
12 He is like a lion that is eager to tear,
     And as a young lion lurking in secret places.

13 Arise, Lord, confront him, make him bow down;
     Save my soul from the wicked with Your sword,
14 From people by Your hand, Lord,
     From people of the world, whose portion is in this life,
     And whose belly You fill with Your treasure;
     They are satisfied with children,
     And leave their abundance to their babies.
15 As for me, I shall behold Your face in righteousness;
     I shall be satisfied with Your likeness when I awake.

TODAY'S THOUGHTS AND MEDITATION:
God blesses people in several different ways.  The unbeliever while here on earth can enjoy the beauty of creation.  And even though they might abuse it, they can find success, power, wealth and pleasures that are from God.  Verse 14 mentions that this is their portion.  They will try to get as much as they can and enjoy it while it lasts and still won't feel satisfied.  
We don't know all of God's reasons, but I do believe it is in part to give the unbeliever a chance to see God's goodness in the midst of this sinful, fallen world.  If a person cannot experience both, how can they make an educated decision?  Therefore the sinner can never say, "God doesn't exist..  God isn't good...  God has never done anything for me..."  So when they stand before Him to be judged, there will be no excuse.
For those who look at God's creation and realize everything God has done for them, and choose to believe, God blesses them in more and better ways.  Besides eternal life, God will hear our physical and temporary desires and requests, and will sometimes give those things to us.  But most importantly, He gives us what we actually need.
It was in times of poverty that I really learned how to be content.  As I relied on God for everything, and grew closer to God in my devotion and prayer life, I experienced more of His joy, peace, comfort, strength and purpose.  
We are to focus on storing up heavenly treasures, which happens when we serve to help build God's heavenly kingdom.  Whatever we have on earth is merely temporary and we cannot take it with us.  Meanwhile heaven will be beyond anything we could ever imagine, and it is for all eternity.  Knowing this just puts everything into perspective.

No comments: