Thursday, November 2, 2017

eschatology, the Stone Which Was Rejected (Ps.118)

Once we reach the book of Daniel, we will see how critical this psalm's portion is - especially the verse that is highlighted.  The moment Jesus was rejected and crucified was the moment when the Jewish Age was put on hold, and the Church Age began.  There are seven years still left for the Jewish Age, but only God knows when the rapture will happen and the Jewish Age will continue again (we will see several verses on this later in the New Testament). 

Meanwhile, because Jesus was rejected - salvation was possible - to everyone EVER.  So as you read through this scripture, notice how David is speaking about salvation in the present tense.  Jesus' work on the cross was timeless.  There was purpose in the exact timing of when He "was born" on earth and when He was crucified - but WHAT HE DID on the cross was for ALL TIME - so that even the people of the Old Testament could be "Christians" WHEN they believed and put their faith in God...

(Psalm 118:1-4, 19-29)  Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;
For His lovingkindness is everlasting.
Oh let Israel say,
“His lovingkindness is everlasting.”
Oh let the house of Aaron say,
“His lovingkindness is everlasting.”
Oh let those who fear the Lord say,
“His lovingkindness is everlasting”...
10
19 Open to me the gates of righteousness;
I shall enter through them, I shall give thanks to the Lord.
20 This is the gate of the Lord;
The righteous will enter through it.
21 I shall give thanks to You, for You have answered me,
And You have become my salvation.
22 The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief corner stone.

23 This is the Lord’s doing;
It is marvelous in our eyes.
24 This is the day which the Lord has made;
Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
25 Lorddo save, we beseech You;
Lord, we beseech You, do send prosperity!
26 Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord;
We have blessed you from the house of the Lord.
27 The Lord is God, and He has given us light;
Bind the festival sacrifice with cords to the horns of the altar.
28 You are my God, and I give thanks to You;
You are my God, I extol You.
29 Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;
For His lovingkindness is everlasting.

Today's takeaway:  we should be so thankful and excited about God's gift of salvation, that we want to share it...

(Matthew 5:14-15)  “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15 nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven..."

Recently I met a young man who seemed to have a lot of idealistic and hopeful thoughts - even though there is so much evil happening all around us.  He believed that mankind would eventually work out all the issues - because one day we would all just figure it out on our own. 

In my head, I was begging God to give me an opportunity, and the right words to say, in order to shed some light.  By the end of the conversation, he learned that I am a Christian, and that I would never compromise my beliefs which are based on what God says, and that God says we should love everyone no matter what.  And that was pretty much it!  In the end, he hoped he'd meet up with me again, in order to get a list of acceptable restaurants in this location, although I felt that maybe he was just thankful there was someone to talk with and someone to listen.

Well, after lots of prayer that evening, the next day I wrote out a list of restaurants and kept it with me.  I "just happened" to bump into him that evening on the streets so I could give him the list.  He was in the middle of a conversation with someone else, so there was clearly no opportunity.  But perhaps that was all I was to do.  Maybe I'll meet up with him again?  I don't know.  Was there a seed planted?  I think "yes" - a very tiny one.  But that tiny seed can surely grow.  Cause him to ask questions.  God can use anything great or small, and He could definitely send others to add to that.  God will work that out.  I just need to be ready, available and willing.  We should desire (as God does) that everyone finds salvation;  but realize everyone is ultimately responsible for themselves...

(Romans 1:18-23)  For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seenbeing understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. 21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.

No comments: