Monday, November 20, 2017

eschatology, the Redeemer of Every Age (Is.40-59)

This next batch is a long one.  It begins with God making a declaration of Himself and the purpose of the ages...
(Isaiah 46:9-13)  “Remember the former things long past, for I am God, and there is no other;  I am God, and there is no one like Me,
10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, ‘My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure’;
11 Calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of My purpose from a far country.  Truly I have spoken; truly I will bring it to pass.  I have planned it, surely I will do it.
12 Listen to Me, you stubborn-minded, who are far from righteousness.
13 “I bring near My righteousness, it is not far off;  and My salvation will not delay.  And I will grant salvation in Zion, and My glory for Israel..."

God's salvation has always been available.  He knew He would come to earth and pay the price for all sin - for all time - for anyone who placed their faith in Him.  Remember, in the Abrahamic covenant, God promised to bless the nations through the Israelites.  In the following scripture, where God gives a prophecy of Himself (Jesus), He calls Himself "Israel".  Besides making salvation possible, Jesus' purpose was and is to restore Israel as a nation to God (although this will only be fulfilled in the Millennium)...

(Isaiah 49:1-13)  Listen to Me, O islands, and pay attention, you peoples from afar, the Lord called Me from the womb;  from the body of My mother He named Me.
He has made My mouth like a sharp sword, in the shadow of His hand He has concealed Me;  and He has also made Me a select arrow, He has hidden Me in His quiver.
He said to Me, “You are My Servant, Israel, in Whom I will show My glory.”
But I said, “I have toiled in vain, I have spent My strength for nothing and vanity;  yet surely the justice due to Me is with the Lord, and My reward with My God.”
And now says the Lord, who formed Me from the womb to be His Servant, to bring Jacob back to Him, so that Israel might be gathered to Him (for I am honored in the sight of the Lord, and My God is My strength),
He says, “It is too small a thing that You should be My Servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore the preserved ones of Israel;  I will also make You a light of the nations so that My salvation may reach to the end of the earth.”
Thus says the Lord, the Redeemer of Israel and its Holy One, to the despised One, to the One abhorred by the nation, to the Servant of rulers, Kings will see and arise, princes will also bow down, because of the Lord who is faithful, the Holy One of Israel who has chosen You.”
Thus says the Lord“In a favorable time I have answered You, and in a day of salvation I have helped You;  and I will keep You and give You for a covenant of the people, to restore the land, to make them inherit the desolate heritages;
Saying to those who are bound, ‘Go forth,’ to those who are in darkness, ‘Show yourselves.’  Along the roads they will feed, and their pasture will be on all bare heights.
10 “They will not hunger or thirst, nor will the scorching heat or sun strike them down;  for He who has compassion on them will lead them and will guide them to springs of water.
11 “I will make all My mountains a road, and My highways will be raised up.
12 “Behold, these will come from afar; and lo, these will come from the north and from the west, and these from the land of Sinim.”
13 Shout for joy, O heavens! And rejoice, O earth!  Break forth into joyful shouting, O mountains!  For the Lord has comforted His people and will have compassion on His afflicted.
John the Baptist would use these next words to introduce the ministry of Jesus (again, this is scripture that should have helped the Pharisees recognize their Messiah when He was on earth the first time)...

(Isaiah 40:3)  A voice is calling, Clear the way for the Lord in the wilderness;  make smooth in the desert a highway for our God..."

The Israelites should have accepted Jesus as their King, and then they could have done this...

(Isaiah 40:9-11)  Get yourself up on a high mountain, O Zion, bearer of good news, lift up your voice mightily, O Jerusalem, bearer of good news;  lift it up, do not fear.  Say to the cities of Judah, Here is your God!”  10 Behold, the Lord God will come with might, with His arm ruling for Him.  Behold, His reward is with Him and His recompense before Him.  11 Like a shepherd He will tend His flock, in His arm He will gather the lambs and carry them in His bosom; He will gently lead the nursing ewes.

God pleads for the Israelites to keep a lookout...

(Isaiah 43:18-19a)  “Do not call to mind the former things, or ponder things of the past.  19 “Behold, I will do something new, now it will spring forth;  will you not be aware of it?.."

Isaiah even gives a physical description of Jesus, but when He came, the Israelites rejected and crucified Jesus as prophesied (and let us not be in denial, as we read these scriptures, notice that we are included in this act)...

(Isaiah 52:13-14)  Behold, My servant will prosper, He will be high and lifted up and greatly exalted.  14 Just as many were astonished at you, My people, so His appearance was marred more than any man and His form more than the sons of men...
(Isaiah 53:1-12)  Who has believed our message?  And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?
For He grew up before Him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of parched ground;  He has no stately form or majesty that we should look upon Him, nor appearance that we should be attracted to Him.
He was despised and forsaken of men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief;  and like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.
Surely our griefs He Himself bore, and our sorrows He carried;  yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities;  the chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, and by His scourging we are healed.
All of us like sheep have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way;  but the Lord has caused the iniquity of us all to fall on Him.
He was oppressed and He was afflicted, yet He did not open His mouth;  like a lamb that is led to slaughter, and like a sheep that is silent before its shearers, so He did not open His mouth.
By oppression and judgment He was taken away;  and as for His generation, who considered that He was cut off out of the land of the living for the transgression of my people, to whom the stroke was due?
His grave was assigned with wicked men, yet He was with a rich man in His death, because He had done no violence, nor was there any deceit in His mouth.
10 But the Lord was pleased tcrush Him, putting Him to grief;  if He would render Himself as a guilt offering, He will see His offspring, He will prolong His days, and the good pleasure of the Lord will prosper in His hand.
11 As a result of the anguish of His soul, He will see it and be satisfied;  by His knowledge the Righteous One, My Servant, will justify the many, as He will bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore, I will allot Him a portion with the great, and He will divide the booty with the strong; because He poured out Himself to death, and was numbered with the transgressors;  yet He Himself bore the sin of many, and interceded for the transgressors.

Crucifying Jesus put a (temporary) stop to the Jewish Age.  There are seven years left to complete it, but WHEN will those days begin again, we do not know (only God the Father knows).  So now the Israelites have to continue to wait for their Messiah (again) and watch for the signs, which will be the judgments in the Tribulation.  At the end of those seven years, at the battle of Armageddon...

 (Isaiah 59:16-20)  And He saw that there was no man, and was astonished that there was no one to intercede;  then His own arm brought salvation to Him, and His righteousness upheld Him.
17 He put on righteousness like a breastplate, and a helmet of salvation on His head;  and He put on garments of vengeance for clothing and wrapped Himself with zeal as a mantle.
18 According to their deeds, so He will repay, wrath to His adversaries, recompense to His enemies;  to the coastlands He will make recompense.
19 So they will fear the name of the Lord from the west and His glory from the rising of the sun, for He will come like a rushing stream which the wind of the Lord drives.
20 “A Redeemer will come to Zion, and to those who turn from transgression in Jacob,” declares the Lord.

(Isaiah 42:13)  The Lord will go forth like a warrior, He will arouse His zeal like a man of war.  He will utter a shout, yes, He will raise a war cry.  He will prevail against His enemies.

At Jesus' first coming, He brought in the new covenant - salvation.  At His second coming, He will fulfill all covenants and usher in the Millennium - a thousand years of peace and blessings...

(Isaiah 42:1-7)  “Behold, My Servant, whom I uphold;  My chosen one in whom My soul delights.  I have put My Spirit upon Him;  He will bring forth justice to the nations.
“He will not cry out or raise His voice, nor make His voice heard in the street.
“A bruised reed He will not break and a dimly burning wick He will not extinguish;  He will faithfully bring forth justice.
“He will not be disheartened or crushed until He has established justice in the earth; and the coastlands will wait expectantly for His law.”
Thus says God the Lord,
Who created the heavens and stretched them out, Who spread out the earth and its offspring, Who gives breath to the people on it and spirit to those who walk in it,
“I am the Lord, I have called You in righteousness, I will also hold You by the hand and watch over You, and I will appoint You as a covenant to the people, as a light to the nations,
To open blind eyes, tbring out prisoners from the dungeon and those who dwell in darkness from the prison..."
(Isaiah 54:4)  “Fear not, for you will not be put to shame;  and do not feel humiliated, for you will not be disgraced;  but you will forget the shame of your youth, and the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more.
(Isaiah 54:10-13)  “For the mountains may be removed and the hills may shake, but My lovingkindness will not be removed from you, and My covenant of peace will not be shaken,” says the Lord who has compassion on you.
11 “O afflicted one, storm-tossed, and not comforted, behold, I will set your stones in antimony, and your foundations I will lay in sapphires.
12 “Moreover, I will make your battlements of rubies, and your gates of crystal, and your entire wall of precious stones.
13 All your sons will be taught of the Lord;  and the well-being of your sons will be great.
(Isaiah 59:21)  “As for Me, this is My covenant with them,” says the Lord: “My Spirit which is upon you, and My words which I have put in your mouth shall not depart from your mouth, nor from the mouth of your offspring, nor from the mouth of your offspring’s offspring,” says the Lord, “from now and forever.”

Today's takeaway:  salvation is free!  It has always been free, because Jesus has made that possible!  What has and is been promised, will be accomplished...

(Isaiah 55:1-11)  “Ho! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters;  and you who have no money come, buy and eat.  Come, buy wine and milk
Without money and without cost.
“Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy?  Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, and delight yourself in abundance.
Incline your ear and come to Me.  Listen, that you may live;  and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, according to the faithful mercies shown to David.
“Behold, I have made him a witness to the peoples, a leader and commander for the peoples.
“Behold, you will call a nation you do not know, and a nation which knows you not will run to you, because of the Lord your God, even the Holy One of Israel;  for He has glorified you.”
Seek the Lord while He may be found;  call upon Him while He is near.
Let the wicked forsake his way and the unrighteous man his thoughts;  and let him return to the Lord, and He will have compassion on him, and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord.
“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.
10 “For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return there without watering the earth and making it bear and sprout, and furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater;  
11 So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth;  it will not return to Me empty, without accomplishing what I desire, and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.

And salvation is for ALL men!  And salvation is eternal - we cannot lose our salvation!...

(Isaiah 56:3-4)  Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the Lord say, “The Lord will surely separate me from His people.”  Nor let the eunuch say, “Behold, I am a dry tree.”
For thus says the Lord,
“To the eunuchs who keep My sabbaths, and choose what pleases Me, and hold fast My covenant,
To them I will give in My house and within My walls a memorial, and a name better than that of sons and daughters;  I will give them an everlasting name which will not be cut off.

No comments: