Monday, November 27, 2017

eschatology, 144,000 Sealed (Ez.8-20)

In chapter 8, Ezekiel was caught up in a vision.  JUST CURIOUS if it was KIND OF the same thing as being "raptured" - which is just the Greek word meaning "to be caught up".  Maybe it was more of a "virtual rapture".  In any case, his body remained behind in Babylon and his spirit and soul went with God to Jerusalem in a vision...

(Ezekiel 8:1-4)  It came about in the sixth year, on the fifth day of the sixth month, as I was sitting in my house with the elders of Judah sitting before me, that the hand of the Lord God fell on me there. Then I looked, and behold, a likeness as the appearance of a man; from His loins and downward there was the appearance of fire, and from His loins and upward the appearance of brightness, like the appearance of glowing metal. He stretched out the form of a hand and caught me by a lock of my head; and the Spirit lifted me up between earth and heaven and brought me in the visions of God to Jerusalem, to the entrance of the north gate of the inner court, where the seat of the idol of jealousy, which provokes to jealousy, was located. And behold, the glory of the God of Israel was there, like the appearance which I saw in the plain.

God showed Ezekiel several different scenarios, but kept saying that he would see abominations far greater than this.  This could be a twofold prophecy, because for sure this will happen in the Tribulation (where the abominations will be far, far greater)...

(Ezekiel 8:5-17)  Then He said to me, “Son of man, raise your eyes now toward the north.”  So I raised my eyes toward the north, and behold, to the north of the altar gate was this idol of jealousy at the entrance. And He said to me, “Son of man, do you see what they are doing, the great abominations which the house of Israel are committing here, so that I would be far from My sanctuary? But yet you will see still greater abominations.”
Then He brought me to the entrance of the court, and when I looked, behold, a hole in the wall. He said to me, “Son of man, now dig through the wall.” So I dug through the wall, and behold, an entrance. And He said to me, “Go in and see the wicked abominations that they are committing here.” 10 So I entered and looked, and behold, every form of creeping things and beasts and detestable things, with all the idols of the house of Israel, were carved on the wall all around. 11 Standing in front of them were seventy elders of the house of Israel, with Jaazaniah the son of Shaphan standing among them, each man with his censer in his hand and the fragrance of the cloud of incense rising. 12 Then He said to me, “Son of man, do you see what the elders of the house of Israel are committing in the dark, each man in the room of his carved images? For they say, ‘The Lord does not see us; the Lord has forsaken the land.’” 13 And He said to me, “Yet you will see still greater abominations which they are committing.”
14 Then He brought me to the entrance of the gate of the Lord’s house which was toward the north; and behold, women were sitting there weeping for Tammuz. 15 He said to me, “Do you see this, son of man? Yet you will see still greater abominations than these.”
16 Then He brought me into the inner court of the Lord’s house. And behold, at the entrance to the temple of the Lord, between the porch and the altar, were about twenty-five men with their backs to the temple of the Lord and their faces toward the east; and they were prostrating themselves eastward toward the sun. 17 He said to me, “Do you see this, son of man? Is it too light a thing for the house of Judah to commit the abominations which they have committed here, that they have filled the land with violence and provoked Me repeatedly? For behold, they are putting the twig to their nose. 

The people were involved in other religions, such as sun worshiping, and paying homage to gods such as Tammus (which was a Babylonian deity), therefore God promises that He will deal with their violence and disobedience...

(Ezekiel 8:18)  Therefore, I indeed will deal in wrath. My eye will have no pity nor will I spare; and though they cry in My ears with a loud voice, yet I will not listen to them.”

An interesting event will take place during the Tribulation.  It is the sealing of the 144,000.  Remember that God has promised that all twelve tribes of Israel would be represented in the Millennium.  And during the Tribulation, the Israelites who realize that the judgments in the Tribulation are the signs of their Messiah's return, which will occur at the end of the seven years - many will believe.  But it will be very difficult to stay alive during this time, so to make sure that His promise is fulfilled, 144,000 Israelites will be sealed (Revelation 7:1-8).  FYI: this is different than the mark of the beast.  The ones who take the mark of the beast and the ones who do not become believers will be dealt with...

(Ezekiel 9:1-11)  Then He cried out in my hearing with a loud voice saying, “Draw near, O executioners of the city, each with his destroying weapon in his hand.” Behold, six men came from the direction of the upper gate which faces north, each with his shattering weapon in his hand; and among them was a certain man clothed in linen with a writing case at his loins. And they went in and stood beside the bronze altar.
Then the glory of the God of Israel went up from the cherub on which it had been, to the threshold of the temple. And He called to the man clothed in linen at whose loins was the writing case. The Lord said to him, “Go through the midst of the city, even through the midst of Jerusalem, and put a mark on the foreheads of the men who sigh and groan over all the abominations which are being committed in its midst.” But to the others He said in my hearing, “Go through the city after him and strike; do not let your eye have pity and do not spare. Utterly slay old men, young men, maidens, little children, and women, but do not touch any man on whom is the mark; and you shall start from My sanctuary.” So they started with the elders who were before the temple. And He said to them, “Defile the temple and fill the courts with the slain. Go out!” Thus they went out and struck down the people in the city. As they were striking the people and I alone was left, I fell on my face and cried out saying, “Alas, Lord God! Are You destroying the whole remnant of Israel by pouring out Your wrath on Jerusalem?”
Then He said to me, “The iniquity of the house of Israel and Judah is very, very great, and the land is filled with blood and the city is full of perversion; for they say, ‘The Lord has forsaken the land, and the Lord does not see!’ 10 But as for Me, My eye will have no pity nor will I spare, but I will bring their conduct upon their heads.”
11 Then behold, the man clothed in linen at whose loins was the writing case reported, saying, “I have done just as You have commanded me.”

Another twofold prophecy (because Babylon did burn Jerusalem during this time period), God will use fire to both punish as well as purify (just as it will happen at the Bema Seat, when Christians are judged according to their good deeds.  These will be passed through the fire, the bad will burn away, and what is left - the deeds done with pure motives - will be rewarded).  Just so, in the Millennium, God will replenish and rebuild...

(Ezekiel 10:1-2)  Then I looked, and behold, in the expanse that was over the heads of the cherubim something like a sapphire stone, in appearance resembling a throne, appeared above them. And He spoke to the man clothed in linen and said, “Enter between the whirling wheels under the cherubim and fill your hands with coals of fire from between the cherubim and scatter them over the city.” And he entered in my sight.

A few chapters over, even though Israel (both north and south kingdoms) has been likened to a bride who has committed adultery, God reminds Ezekiel that He will fulfill all covenants (in the Millennium)...

(Ezekiel 16:53-63)  “Nevertheless, I will restore their captivity, the captivity of Sodom and her daughters, the captivity of Samaria and her daughters, and [along with them [your own captivity, 54 in order that you may bear your humiliation and feel ashamed for all that you have done when you become a consolation to them. 55 Your sisters, Sodom with her daughters and Samaria with her daughters, will return to their former state, and you with your daughters will also return to your former state. 56 As the name of your sister Sodom was not heard from your lips in your day of pride, 57 before your wickedness was uncovered, so now you have become the reproach of the daughters of Edom and of all who are around her, of the daughters of the Philistines—those surrounding you who despise you. 58 You have borne the penalty of your lewdness and abominations,” the Lord declares. 59 For thus says the Lord God, “I will also do with you as you have done, you who have despised the oath by breaking the covenant.
60 “Nevertheless, I will remember My covenant with you in the days of your youth, and I will establish an everlasting covenant with you. 61 Then you will remember your ways and be ashamed when you receive your sisters, both your older and your younger; and I will give them to you as daughters, but not because of your covenant. 62 Thus I will establish My covenant with you, and you shall know that I am the Lord, 63 so that you may remember and be ashamed and never open your mouth anymore because of your humiliation, when I have forgiven you for all that you have done,” the Lord God declares.

And in order to fulfill these covenants, Jesus will return to earth to sit on the throne, first to judge the nations...

(Ezekiel 20:33-38)  “As I live,” declares the Lord God, “surely with a mighty hand and with an outstretched arm and with wrath poured out, I shall be king over you.  34 I will bring you out from the peoples and gather you from the lands where you are scattered, with a mighty hand and with an outstretched arm and with wrath poured out; 35 and I will bring you into the wilderness of the peoples, and there I will enter into judgment with you face to face. 36 As I entered into judgment with your fathers in the wilderness of the land of Egypt, so I will enter into judgment with you,” declares the Lord God. 37 “I will make you pass under the rod, and I will bring you into the bond of the covenant; 38 and I will purge from you the rebels and those who transgress against Me; I will bring them out of the land where they sojourn, but they will not enter the land of Israel. Thus you will know that I am the Lord.

All people who have become believers during the Tribulation will enter the Millennium.  And because Jesus sits on the throne, the earth will flourish...

(Ezekiel 17:22-24)  Thus says the Lord God, “I will also take a sprig from the lofty top of the cedar and set it out; I will pluck from the topmost of its young twigs a tender one and I will plant it on a high and lofty mountain. 23 On the high mountain of Israel I will plant it, that it may bring forth boughs and bear fruit and become a stately cedar. And birds of every kind will nest under it; they will nest in the shade of its branches. 24 All the trees of the field will know that I am the Lord; I bring down the high tree, exalt the low tree, dry up the green tree and make the dry tree flourish. I am the Lord; I have spoken, and I will perform it.”

In the Millennium, there will be no more idol worshiping, but people will serve Jesus joyfully, with a sincere heart...

(Ezekiel 20:39b-42)  ...you will surely listen to Me, and My holy name you will profane no longer with your gifts and with your idols. 40 For on My holy mountain, on the high mountain of Israel,” declares the Lord God, “there the whole house of Israel, all of them, will serve Me in the land; there I will accept them and there I will seek your contributions and the choicest of your gifts, with all your holy things. 41 As a soothing aroma I will accept you when I bring you out from the peoples and gather you from the lands where you are scattered; and I will prove Myself holy among you in the sight of the nations. 42 And you will know that I am the Lordwhen I bring you into the land of Israel, into the land which I swore to give to your forefathers.

Today's takeaway:  God is faithful to preserve His children.  Just as He will seal 144,000 Israelites in in the Tribulation so that they will make it through those seven years alive in order to enjoy the blessings of the Millennium - God seals all of His children - all believers - with the Holy Spirit.  THEREFORE we cannot lose our salvation!  We are going to heaven!  Nothing can undo that, not even ourselves.

God uses the human term "seal" so that we can understand this very clearly.  When someone wrote a letter, they would use hot wax to close the paper (parchment), then stamp the hot wax with their personalized seal.  This letter was only to be opened once it was delivered to the intended recipient.  How amazing is this!!!...

(Ephesians 1:13-14)  In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession, to the praise of His glory.

No comments: