Saturday, November 25, 2017

eschatology, Predestined & Free Will (Jer.32-52)

In today's devotion, I'm kind of starting with the "today's takeaway":  The last chapters in Jeremiah keeps going through different scenarios, while giving reminders to the Israelites that God intends to fulfill His promises in the Millennium, after they decide to have a change of heart.   The change of heart that they will experience - becoming a Christian - will be exactly how it has always been:  God has given us free choice.  As well, God has predestined us...

(Romans 8:26-30)  In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; 27 and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.  29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.

Is this possible because God already knew before creation who would want to love Him, and so He chose them???  It's a tough concept to wrap the brain around.  Since there's no way to totally understand this - I like to figure out the logic with something I already firmly know (keeping everything in context, because it HAS to make "real" sense to me!  So I know) - God is fair and just - and God is loving and desires that all become believers.

And so in these following scripture passages, we see that God is going to HELP the Israelites with their heart condition.  Of course, right in the beginning of the Millennium, all people entering this age will already be Christians (these being the ones who recognize the Tribulation judgments as the signs of the times that their Messiah will be returning very soon).  God will help their obedience, just as He is able to help us now.  "Lord, I believe, help my unbelief."  As well, God will help the "children" - those being born into the Millennium.  Not everyone being born during the Millennium will become believers, but they will not act out of line until the very end, when Satan is released for a very brief moment to deceive the nations.  The Last Battle will be very short!  But no one can say that God forces anyone to be a believer if they do not want to...

(Jeremiah 32:37-44)  Behold, I will gather them out of all the lands to which I have driven them in My anger, in My wrath and in great indignation; and I will bring them back to this place and make them dwell in safety. 38 They shall be My people, and I will be their God; 39 and I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear Me always, for their own good and for the good of their children after them. 40 I will make an everlasting covenant with them that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; and I will put the fear of Me in their hearts so that they will not turn away from Me. 41 I will rejoice over them to do them good and will faithfully plant them in this land with all My heart and with all My soul. 42 For thus says the Lord, ‘Just as I brought all this great disaster on this people, so I am going to bring on them all the good that I am promising them. 43 Fields will be bought in this land of which you say, “It is a desolation, without man or beast; it is given into the hand of the Chaldeans.” 44 Men will buy fields for money, sign and seal deeds, and call in witnesses in the land of Benjamin, in the environs of Jerusalem, in the cities of Judah, in the cities of the hill country, in the cities of the lowland and in the cities of the Negev; for I will restore their fortunes,’ declares the Lord.”

(Jeremiah 33:2-3)  “Thus says the Lord who made the earth, the Lord who formed it to establish it, the Lord is His name, Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty thingswhich you do not know.’

(Jeremiah 33:6-11)  Behold, I will bring to it health and healing, and I will heal them; and I will reveal to them an abundance of peace and truth. I will restore the fortunes of Judah and the fortunes of Israel and will rebuild them as they were at first. I will cleanse them from all their iniquity by which they have sinned against Me, and I will pardon all their iniquities by which they have sinned against Me and by which they have transgressed against Me. It will be to Me a name of joy, praise and glory before all the nations of the earth which will hear of all the good that I do for them, and they will fear and tremble because of all the good and all the peace that I make for it.’
10 “Thus says the Lord, ‘Yet again there will be heard in this place, of which you say, “It is a waste, without man and without beast,” that is, in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem that are desolate, without man and without inhabitant and without beast, 11 the voice of joy and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride, the voice of those who say,
Give thanks to the Lord of hosts, for the Lord is good, for His lovingkindness is everlasting”;
and of those who bring a thank offering into the house of the Lord. For I will restore the fortunes of the land as they were at first,’ says the Lord.
(Jeremiah 33:14-18)  ‘Behold, days are coming,’ declares the Lord, ‘when I will fulfill the good word which I have spoken concerning the house of Israel and the house of Judah. 15 In those days and at that time I will cause a righteous Branch of David to spring forth; and He shall execute justice and righteousness on the earth. 16 In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will dwell in safety; and this is the name by which she will be called: the Lord is our righteousness.’ 17 For thus says the Lord, ‘David shall never lack a man to sit on the throne of the house of Israel;18 and the Levitical priests shall never lack a man before Me to offer burnt offerings, to burn grain offerings and to prepare sacrifices continually.’”
(Jeremiah 33:26c)  “...‘...I will restore their fortunes and will have mercy on them.’”
 (Jeremiah 46:27-28)  “But as for you, O Jacob My servant, do not fear, nor be dismayed, O Israel!  For, see, I am going to save you from afar, and your descendants from the land of their captivity;  and Jacob will return and be undisturbed and secure, with no one making him tremble.
28 “O Jacob My servant, do not fear,” declares the Lord“For I am with you.  For I will make a full end of all the nations where I have driven you, yet I will not make a full end of you;  but I will correct you properly and by no means leave you unpunished.”
 (Jeremiah 50:34)  “Their Redeemer is strong, the Lord of hosts is His name;  He will vigorously plead their case so that He may bring rest to the earth, but turmoil to the inhabitants of Babylon.

To finish the book of Jeremiah, here is a twofold prophecy to heed:  God will judge the sinful...

(Jeremiah 51:33)  For thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel:
“The daughter of Babylon is like a threshing floor at the time it is stamped firm;  yet in a little while the time of harvest will come for her.”
God will save those who run to Him...
 (Jeremiah 51:45)  “Come forth from her midst, My people, and each of you save yourselves from the fierce anger of the Lord..."

No comments: