Thursday, May 10, 2018

spiritual battle: Wrestling with the Angel (Gen.32-48)

In the following scripture, we see Jacob wrestling with a man.  Then with a cross-reference in Hosea 12:4, we see that Jacob wrestled with "the angel", which more than likely means THE angel of the Lord (the pre-incarnation of Jesus).  This all makes sense and remains in context considering the portions of scripture that I highlighted below...

(Genesis 32:24-30)  Then Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him until daybreak. 25 When he saw that he had not prevailed against him, he touched the socket of his thigh; so the socket of Jacob’s thigh was dislocated while he wrestled with him. 26 Then he said, “Let me go, for the dawn is breaking.” But he said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.” 27 So he said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.” 28 He said, “Your name shall no longer be Jacob, but Israel; for you have striven with God and with men and have prevailed.” 29 Then Jacob asked him and said, “Please tell me your name.” But he said, “Why is it that you ask my name?” And he blessed him there. 30 So Jacob named the place Peniel, for he said, “I have seen God face to face, yet my life has been preserved.”

There is another reference to "the angel" which also would be THE angel of the Lord (meaning God).  In the following scripture, Jacob is now called Israel, and is very old.  This takes place in Egypt, after he reunited with his son, Joseph...

(Genesis 48:15-16)  He blessed Joseph, and said,
The God before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac walked, the God who has been my shepherd all my life to this day,
16 The angel who has redeemed me from all evil, bless the lads;  and may my name live on in them, and the names of my fathers Abraham and Isaac;  and may they grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth.”

From this we see:
- sometimes our spiritual battle is with God's will
- we only "win" when we are in God's will

Personal Experience:  during grade 9, I began to separate myself from my family and home-life where all relationships were strained because of the one brother's involvement in the occult and his unpredictable and dysfunctional behavior.  Instead of depending on God to sort that out, I chose instead to do things my way.  And then it became so easy to fall into doing some things my friends' way and the "world's way". 

God still protected me in a lot of important ways.  I'm so grateful that I never lost my virginity, and I never became hooked on cigarettes, and I didn't feel the need to drink alcohol with my friends.  But I did avoid attending youth group and would lie about it.  I did manipulate teachers, etc. in order to break school rules...  At the time, I thought of myself as being so clever!

That next summer, my parents insisted I go to Bible camp.  Fortunately that year, the Bible camp decided to offer a week-long bicycle trip (as an alternative option).  I jumped at that, thinking it would be the least Bible-y-thing to do.  I had so much fun!!!  And I felt so much at peace.  It was a week of difficult challenges, while surrounded by Christian guides and counselors.

So when I got home, it was so weird - I kept bursting into tears over the tiniest things.  My parents asked me what was going on?  I had no idea and had to do some soul-searching.  I could see that there was an internal spiritual battle!  I was feeling convicted about the past year, about drifting away from God, and lying to the people I love.  I knew I had to confess that and turn my life around and start to pursue God again. 

I experienced such a change!  MY WORLD started to appear so much brighter, even though there was still darkness around me (meaning the occult influences of my one brother).  I felt free - like - I could breathe deeply and embrace God's grace with such joy and appreciation.  I was baptized and became a church member.  I LOVED going to church again, and not only started going back to youth group, but got involved in a serving capacity.

Today's takeaway:  Jacob wrestled with God and appeared to win... but he came out of that with a gimpy leg!  Notice that Jacob realized - he was fortunate to have lived through that experience!!!  And Jacob gave honor to God.

God gives us a free will, but I have learned firsthand that choosing God's will is the (only) best choice to make...

(Romans 12:1-21)  Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith. For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.
Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; 11 not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; 12 rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, 13 contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. 16 Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation. 17 Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. 19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 But if your enemy is hungry, feed him, and if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

No comments: