Monday, May 28, 2018

spiritual battle, Do Not Worship Anything Other Than God (Deut.4-18)

Below we have a warning not to worship anything other than God.  This includes the stars and planetary systems (which supposedly is used to determine horoscopes);  as well as "the host of heaven" (a term which is used to describe all the angels, and could in this case also include fallen angels)...

(Deuteronomy 4:14-20)  The Lord commanded me at that time to teach you statutes and judgments, that you might perform them in the land where you are going over to possess it.
15 So watch yourselves carefully, since you did not see any form on the day the Lord spoke to you at Horeb from the midst of the fire, 16 so that you do not act corruptly and make a graven image for yourselves in the form of any figure, the likeness of male or female, 17 the likeness of any animal that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the sky, 18 the likeness of anything that creeps on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the water below the earth. 19 And beware not to lift up your eyes to heaven and see the sun and the moon and the stars, all the host of heavenand be drawn away and worship them and serve them, those which the Lord your God has allotted to all the peoples under the whole heaven. 20 But the Lord has taken you and brought you out of the iron furnace, from Egypt, to be a people for His own possession, as today.

Remember from the last read-through topic on eschatology, the Israelites were given the Abrahamic (and later the Davidic) covenant which promised them land, seed and blessings with an eternal kingdom in the promised land.  As well, they were given the Mosaic covenant which promised them that as long as they were perfectly obedient as a nation, their covenants would be realized...

(Deuteronomy 4:23-24)  So watch yourselves, that you do not forget the covenant of the Lord your God which He made with you, and make for yourselves a graven image in the form of anything against which the Lord your God has commanded you. 24 For the Lord your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

There were consequences if and when the Israelites were disobedient.  Within the consequences, spiritual warfare will occur...

(Deuteronomy 4:25-28)  “When you become the father of children and children’s children and have remained long in the land, and act corruptly, and make an idol in the form of anything, and do that which is evil in the sight of the Lord your God so as to provoke Him to anger, 26 call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that you will surely perish quickly from the land where you are going over the Jordan to possess it. You shall not live long on it, but will be utterly destroyed. 27 The Lord will scatter you among the peoples, and you will be left few in number among the nations where the Lord drives you. 28 There you will serve gods, the work of man’s hands, wood and stone, which neither see nor hear nor eat nor smell.

At any point, anyone is able to repent.  But we also know from the eschatology-read-through that it will be in the latter days (during the Tribulation, which will involve extreme demonic activity and spiritual warfare), that the Israelites as a nation will see the judgments as the signs of Jesus' second coming and accept Him as their King, and then their covenants will be fulfilled in the Millennium...

(Deuteronomy 4:29-31)  But from there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find Him if you search for Him with all your heart and all your soul. 30 When you are in distress and all these things have come upon you, in the latter days you will return to the Lord your God and listen to His voice. 31 For the Lord your God is a compassionate God; He will not fail you nor destroy you nor forget the covenant with your fathers which He swore to them.

Over the next several chapters, Moses reminds the people over and over again about what not to do, and most importantly to remain obedient and focused on the Lord...

(Deuteronomy 12:28-32)  “Be careful to listen to all these words which I command you, so that it may be well with you and your sons after you forever, for you will be doing what is good and right in the sight of the Lord your God.
29 “When the Lord your God cuts off before you the nations which you are going in to dispossess, and you dispossess them and dwell in their land, 30 beware that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, ‘How do these nations serve their gods, that I also may do likewise?’ 31 You shall not behave thus toward the Lord your God, for every abominable act which the Lord hates they have done for their gods; for they even burn their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods. 32 “Whatever I command you, you shall be careful to do; you shall not add to nor take away from it..."

From this we see:
- we should not worship creation, but worship the Creator
- we should not worship angels or demons
- when anyone gets involved with idolatry, they immediately open the doors to the consequences of demon activity and spiritual warfare

Personal experience:  as we read through the Bible, we see God repeating Himself quite frequently on certain topics.  This is not only to stress topics which are important, but it's because we need constant reminders!

Just so, I have found great benefits to having daily devotions!  I have actually begun to LOVE having my daily devotions.  Most mornings I wake up, and as I lay there trying to get myself up out of bed - I think - I wonder what God wants to tell me today???  And then I cannot wait to start my morning!

And not to make it sound like a superstition, but when I have my devotions - my day just goes better than if I don't.  It's like getting the greatest pep-talk from the best coach ever - right before game-time! 

Today's takeaway:  God wants to give us clear and constant guidance to keep us on the "straight and narrow" - which blesses our lives to a fuller extent than we could ever imagine - even and especially when we are going through tests and trials.  And because we have such an awesome God, even if and when we do stumble, He is there waiting to help us get back on track...
 (Psalm 119:97-112)  O how I love Your law!  It is my meditation all the day.
98 Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever mine.
99 I have more insight than all my teachers, for Your testimonies are my meditation.
100 I understand more than the aged, because I have observed Your precepts.
101 I have restrained my feet from every evil way, that I may keep Your word.
102 I have not turned aside from Your ordinances, for You Yourself have taught me.
103 How sweet are Your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
104 From Your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way.
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
106 I have sworn and I will confirm it, that I will keep Your righteous ordinances.
107 I am exceedingly afflicted; revive me, O Lord, according to Your word.
108 O accept the freewill offerings of my mouth, O Lord, and teach me Your ordinances.
109 My life is continually in my hand, yet I do not forget Your law.
110 The wicked have laid a snare for me, yet I have not gone astray from Your precepts.
111 I have inherited Your testimonies forever, for they are the joy of my heart.
112 I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes forever, even to the end.

No comments: