Friday, May 4, 2018

spiritual battle: THE Angel of the Lord (Gen.16:7-14)

Here is the first mention in the Bible of "THE angel of the Lord."  This is NOT an angel.  Anywhere we see THE angel of the Lord, we need to realize that this is the self-manifestation of God - a kind of pre-incarnation of Jesus.  The actual incarnation of Jesus was when He came to earth in flesh - 100% man while still being 100% God.  After His ascension, He does not appear on earth... and He will not appear on earth until His second coming.  Of course, God is still every-where-present.  So we will not SEE God, but we will definitely feel His presence.

I might not share every passage regarding THE angel of the Lord, but definitely the ones I think are applicable to the topic of spiritual warfare.

Interestingly, "Jesus's" first appearance is to Hagar - a Gentile - and a  maid to Abram's wife, Sarai.  "Jesus" told Hagar to name her child "Ishmael" which means "God hears".  And the name of the well was called "Beer-lahai-roi" which means "a well of the Living One who sees me"...

(Genesis 16:7-14)  Now the angel of the Lord found her by a spring of water in the wilderness, by the spring on the way to Shur. He said, “Hagar, Sarai’s maid, where have you come from and where are you going?” And she said, “I am fleeing from the presence of my mistress Sarai.” Then the angel of the Lord said to her, “Return to your mistress, and submit yourself to her authority.” 10 Moreover, the angel of the Lord said to her, “I will greatly multiply your descendants so that they will be too many to count.” 11 The angel of the Lord said to her further,
“Behold, you are with child, and you will bear a son; and you shall call his name Ishmael, because the Lord has given heed to your affliction.
12 “He will be a wild donkey of a man, his hand will be against everyone, and everyone’s hand will be against him; and he will live to the east of all his brothers.”
13 Then she called the name of the Lord who spoke to her, “You are a God who sees”; for she said, “Have I even remained alive here after seeing Him?” 14 Therefore the well was called Beer-lahai-roi; behold, it is between Kadesh and Bered.

Personal experience:  there will be times when we will sense a spiritual presence, but we might not be sure if it is actually God or if God has sent an angel to help us.

While I was on a Bible camp week-long bicycle trip, our group decided to go 110 miles on the first day.  There were still a few more hours left of peddling, and I felt like I could not go on for one more mile.  It was hot, and there was a very strong headwind.  I finally pleaded with God to help me.

Immediately, it seemed like a giant hand started to push me along.  I thought, "Did the wind just change directions?"  But as I passed by one of my fellow cyclists, I noticed that they were still struggling against the wind.  So weird!  Okay!  Either an angel was pushing me, or it was God's hand!  Either way - I was most grateful!!!

Today's takeaway:  we do love to try to micro-manage God at times.  I could have prayed, "Lord, send me an angel to push me along..."  I did not do that in that moment.  I simple asked God to help me.  I know I have said something like that to God on other occasions, but it is important to realize that it is not up to me as to how God decides to answer my prayers.  I can definitely ask Him for anything, but I do not feel it is my place to tell Him HOW.  And just like the scripture event above, sometimes God intervenes even when we haven't prayed...

(John 15:1-11)  “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples. Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. 10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. 11 These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full..."

No comments: