Wednesday, May 16, 2018

spiritual battle, Demonic Ceremonies (Ex.23)

Leaven was a symbol of corruption and evil, and boiling a young goat in the milk of its mother was a common Canaanite ritual involving magic spells...

(Exodus 23:18-19)  “You shall not offer the blood of My sacrifice with leavened breadnor is the fat of My feast to remain overnight until morning.
19 “You shall bring the choice first fruits of your soil into the house of the Lord your God.
You are not to boil a young goat in the milk of its mother.

From this we see:
- we should not be a part of demonic ceremonies
- we should not mix demonic practices together with Christian practices
- we should not even appear to be taking part in demonic ceremonies

Personal experience:  it was a few years before we adopted my younger brother... I was five years old, and my other brother was three, when my mom dressed both of us up as witches for Halloween.  It was all very cute and innocent, on our part, and I thought it was great fun to get candy - for free. 

Not long after, an adult asked me (what most older people like to ask all little kids), "What do you want to be when you grow up?" 

I answered very thoughtfully, "A witch." Well, the looks that I got!!!  Even at the age of five, I could tell that this was probably not the most appropriate career choice. 

I began to observe what other little girls would answer in response to that question, and noticed that they would always say things like teachers and nurses.  So the next time I was asked that same question, I answered very happily and definitively, "A witch-nurse."  Again with the looks!!! 

Immediately following that, my parents educated us kids on this topic, and they decided that we would avoid such costume options in the future.

Later on when my husband and I had children, we weren't against Halloween, but we didn't encourage it as something we had to do.  In fact, the kids were most content doing something else.  It really was a non-event at our house.

Again, our intentions had been innocent as most people's intentions are to - dress up - and get candy.  And most people who hand out the candy are doing so just for the fun of handing out candy!  So I will not ascribe the world "evil" to the entire holiday-of-sorts, or to anyone who participates. 

Today's takeaway:  if anything is against God or mocks God, then it is - without question - not edifying or beneficial at all.  On these seemingly "gray areas", we need to assess the situation and our own behavior to figure out if what we are doing is appropriate, and determine for ourselves if it is right or wrong - for ourselves.  We cannot judge people's hearts or their motives. 

Regarding things like Halloween, because obviously some people (literally) would take this day to an entirely other dimension, I would apply the following verses...

(1 Corinthians 10:23-33)  All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. 24 Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor. 25 Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience’ sake; 26 for the earth is the Lord’s, and all it contains. 27 If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience’ sake. 28 But if anyone says to you, “This is meat sacrificed to idols,” do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience’ sake; 29 I mean not your own conscience, but the other man’s; for why is my freedom judged by another’s conscience? 30 If I partake with thankfulness, why am I slandered concerning that for which I give thanks?
31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give no offense either to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God; 33 just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit but the profit of the many, so that they may be saved.

No comments: