Friday, May 18, 2018

spiritual battle, Guardian Angel to Guide (Ex.23)

In the passage below, an angel is mentioned.  This could be just an angel, or it is THE angel of the Lord.  But from everything written here, it sounds like it is just an angel.  The pronouns are not in uppercase, and in verse 22, God is only telling the people to follow and obey what this angel tells them to do - because in doing so - they would be obeying God.  They are even warned and reminded to ONLY SERVE GOD.  Therefore we can safely assume that this angel is only passing along God's instructions to the people...

(Exodus 23:20-33)  “Behold, I am going to send an angel before you to guard you along the way and to bring you into the place which I have prepared. 21 Be on your guard before him and obey his voice; do not be rebellious toward him, for he will not pardon your transgression, since My name is in him. 22 But if you truly obey his voice and do all that I say, then I will be an enemy to your enemies and an adversary to your adversaries. 23 For My angel will go before you and bring you in to the land of the Amorites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Canaanites, the Hivites and the Jebusites; and I will completely destroy them. 24 You shall not worship their gods, nor serve them, nor do according to their deeds; but you shall utterly overthrow them and break their sacred pillars in pieces. 25 But you shall serve the Lord your Godand He will bless your bread and your water; and I will remove sickness from your midst. 26 There shall be no one miscarrying or barren in your land; I will fulfill the number of your days. 27 I will send My terror ahead of you, and throw into confusion all the people among whom you come, and I will make all your enemies turn their backs to you. 28 I will send hornets ahead of you so that they will drive out the Hivites, the Canaanites, and the Hittites before you. 29 I will not drive them out before you in a single year, that the land may not become desolate and the beasts of the field become too numerous for you. 30 I will drive them out before you little by little, until you become fruitful and take possession of the land. 31 I will fix your boundary from the Red Sea to the sea of the Philistines, and from the wilderness to the River Euphratesfor I will deliver the inhabitants of the land into your hand, and you will drive them out before you. 32 You shall make no covenant with them or with their gods. 33 They shall not live in your land, because they will make you sin against Me; for if you serve their gods, it will surely be a snare to you.”

From this we see:
- angels can protect
- angels can guide
- we should listen and follow the advice of an angel ONLY as it comes from God
- serve God only
- demons can distract us and take our focus away from God

Personal experience:  throughout his life, my younger (adopted) brother struggled to obedient.  His disobedience would eventually escalate to a point where he would break down in utter defeat and "become a Christian".  Every time he would do this, he would say, "This time it's for real."  He would then behave and be "really good" - for a very short time;  then soon after, things would go very wrong again!  And it wasn't even just going back to how it had been - each time it would get exponentially worse.

This demonstrated that it probably wasn't "for real" and that he didn't really understand.  Each time, he was just trying to behave in his own strength.  And in his own wisdom, he didn't see the need to hang out with different people or separate himself from the things that were his snares and pitfalls.  But mostly, he didn't allow himself to be loved and adopted by the perfect heavenly Father!  He didn't love or trust God.  He was still equating God's love to the experiences he had with fallible people - his natural mother and father who had rejected him;  the foster parents who had abused him;  and the orphanage that neglected him...

Today's takeaway:  notice in the scripture above, right after God reminds the people to serve only the LORD - then - He will - He will - He will... God does everything for us.  He might use angels in different circumstances, but all the glory goes to God!!!

It is the same way when we serve each other - all in God's strength - all to His glory!  And we are to submit to each other (obey each other) - AS TO THE LORD - when it is in God's will.  Therefore, it is critical to know God's will...

(Ephesians 5:17-21)  Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, 16 making the most of your time, because the days are evil. 17 So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; 20 always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father; 21 and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.
(Psalm 18:30-36)  As for God, His way is blameless; the word of the Lord is tried; He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him.
31 For who is God, but the Lord?  And who is a rock, except our God,
32 The God who girds me with strength and makes my way blameless?
33 He makes my feet like hinds’ feet, and sets me upon my high places.
34 He trains my hands for battle, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
35 You have also given me the shield of Your salvation, and Your right hand upholds me; and Your gentleness makes me great.
36 You enlarge my steps under me, and my feet have not slipped.

(Revelation 4:11)  “Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created.”

No comments: