Tuesday, June 13, 2017

JESUS the Messiah and Teacher (Matt.5-7)

One of the first events that happened when Jesus began His ministry, was the "sermon on the mount".  We have given it that title because people had been following Jesus and wanted to hear what He had to say;  and because there were so many, He went up on the mountain so people could hear and see Him better.  The Israelites had been waiting for their Messiah to take them into the kingdom of heaven, and now they wanted to know - is this really their Messiah?  Jesus definitely spoke as God in flesh by how He referred to Himself, and how He spoke with authority, but then He said stuff like...

(Matthew 5:10-11)  “Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Okay, the people were still curious, but this sounds extremely uncomfortable.  Their Messiah was supposed to get all their land back for them!  They expected their Messiah to lead them into war and have the victory, then they were to experience peace and blessings.  What they didn't pick up on was that they first had to put their faith in Jesus and be perfectly obedient before any of that could happen.

The Israelites were very used to living by the Law (the do's and don't's), and there were a lot of them because their spiritual leaders, the Pharisees, had added many, many, many more!!!  NOW - Jesus gave them extra high standards about being meek, gentle, merciful, and even directions about not thinking bad thoughts for it would be the same as if you had done them!!!  This would be impossible.  So what most of the people did NOT "hear" (understand) was that God had a plan!  Jesus came with a purpose, and He would provide a way for all these things to be possible...

(Matthew 5:17-18)  “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished..."

Jesus came to do it FOR us.  He would live the perfectly obedient life.  And then Jesus would be the perfect sacrifice - dying in our place - taking on all sin of all time - paying the price - then rising again so there could be victory over death - and anyone who believes would have everlasting life!!!  Jesus was there to fight the spiritual battle for us.

Thus, we could be set free from sin and free from the Law, because there is God's eternal and all-powerful grace!  Because God knows we cannot be perfectly obedient, but that is what it takes to get to heaven and have a relationship with a holy God.  So cool... He has the highest standards, but loves us so much, He does everything for us... we just have to "believe in Him" - "KNOW" Him.  We have to have that close, personal relationship with Him...

(Matthew 7:21-29)  “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. 26 Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.”  28 When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at His teaching; 29 for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.

I pray that people who hear these words are not just amazed, but they really HEAR and understand that it is not about do's and don't's, but that it is a choice of a heart.  When we believe IN Jesus, we are fully trusting in what He has done for us.  It is then God who changes our hearts so that we will WANT to "be obedient".

I've heard debates about whether or not one can truly become a Christian if all one does is "believe in Jesus"... and does it have to include one "asking for forgiveness for all our sins" at that point in time.  So - ??? All we have to do is believe???  As John 3:16 says, For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

But part of having a close relationship (with anyone) is "reconciling" when we've done something wrong.  A relationship always grows closer when we confess and apologize for any wrong we've done.  This is not just for the sake of the party wronged, it is also for ourselves, because whether or not the other person forgives us, we have done what we should and we will feel better about it.  So to really accept Jesus' work on the cross, in order to fully appreciate this, we have to acknowledge that we are sinners and need a Savior.

Now, I became a Christian at a very young age, so I cannot remember any big experience.  At the age of four, I realized that I was a sinner and needed God - and I just loved God so very much!  I asked Him to forgive all my sins and asked Him into my heart.  I do not remember any earth-shaking-experience. - - - Now in my 50s, recently I had confessed my post traumatic stress disorder to God - as I was not trusting God to take care of me - while I was experiencing fear because of - nothing???  I could not trust God to protect me from "nothing"!  From past experiences that cause me to fear!  Not trusting God in that.  I confessed that as a sin!  Immediately - I felt a huge weight lift off of me.  Whoa!!!  And then - I was delivered.  I noticed the change in me immediately.

I do know that when we become Christians, Jesus forgives ALL our sins, past, present, future - and God chooses to remember them no more.  But meanwhile - now - as we go - we should confess (admit and apologize) for the wrongs we commit and struggle with.  (1 John 1:9)  If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  It feels so good to be clean!   It feels so good to maintain a healthy relationship with God!  And why would we not???  I'm now thinking about where Jesus was washing the disciples' feet, and Peter asked Jesus to wash all of him...

(Matthew 13:5-10)  Then He poured water into the basin, and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded. So He came to Simon Peter. He said to Him, “Lord, do You wash my feet?”  Jesus answered and said to him, “What I do you do not realize now, but you will understand hereafter.” Peter *said to Him, “Never shall You wash my feet!” Jesus answered him, If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.” Simon Peter *said to Him, “Lord, then wash not only my feet, but also my hands and my head.” 10 Jesus said to him, “He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean...

No comments: