Wednesday, May 24, 2017

JESUS is Holy (Ez.20)

Ezekiel has been telling the Israelites to turn from their sinful ways and turn back to God.  In this passage he reminds the people of God's promises to them and that they will be fulfilled.  This will happen at the end of the Tribulation, when Jesus comes again to win the Battle of Armageddon, then take the throne...

(Ezekiel 20:33-34)  “As I live,” declares the Lord God, “surely with a mighty hand and with an outstretched arm and with wrath poured out, I shall be king over you.  34 I will bring you out from the peoples and gather you from the lands where you are scattered, with a mighty hand and with an outstretched arm and with wrath poured out.."

Jesus will then judge the nations - taking all people who have become Christians during the seven years - into the Millennium.  This is what Jesus was describing in Matthew 25:31-46.  "Pass under the rod" is a shepherding reference.  The Great Shepherd will separate the sheep from the goats...

(Ezekiel 20:35-44)  and I will bring you into the wilderness of the peoples, and there I will enter into judgment with you face to face. 36 As I entered into judgment with your fathers in the wilderness of the land of Egypt, so I will enter into judgment with you,” declares the Lord God. 37 I will make you pass under the rod, and I will bring you into the bond of the covenant; 38 and I will purge from you the rebels and those who transgress against Me; I will bring them out of the land where they sojourn, but they will not enter the land of Israel. Thus you will know that I am the Lord.

The next statement, God is not allowing the Israelites to serve other gods or idols.  God is simply saying - no matter what they do - there will come a day when THEY WILL SERVE AND OBEY GOD!!!

(Ezekiel 20:39-44)  “As for you, O house of Israel,” thus says the Lord God, “Go, serve everyone his idols; but later you will surely listen to Me, and My holy name you will profane no longer with your gifts and with your idols.  40 For on My holy mountain, on the high mountain of Israel,” declares the Lord God, “there the whole house of Israelall of them, will serve Me in the land; there I will accept them and there I will seek your contributions and the choicest of your gifts, with all your holy things.  41 As a soothing aroma I will accept you when I bring you out from the peoples and gather you from the lands where you are scattered; and I will prove Myself holy among you in the sight of the nations. 42 And you will know that I am the Lordwhen I bring you into the land of Israel, into the land which I swore to give to your forefathers. 43 There you will remember your ways and all your deeds with which you have defiled yourselves; and you will loathe yourselves in your own sight for all the evil things that you have done. 44 Then you will know that I am the Lord when I have dealt with you for My name’s sake, not according to your evil ways or according to your corrupt deeds, O house of Israel,” declares the Lord God.’”

Some people have to learn the hard way.  Personally, I prefer to learn something BEFORE any lessons have to be used to teach me!  Although, when I'm honest with myself, there are still areas in my life that I need to confess and let go of, or areas that God could help me improve...  Even just failing to exercise regularly in order to take care of my physical health.  God has given us so many resources, and we need to respect them and use them wisely - to His glory.  Because whatever things in our lives become our priority or main focus, or whatever things controls us - THAT becomes "an idol that we are worshiping"...

As Christians, we can fall into that sort of "idol worshiping", although this does not cause us to lose our salvation...  NOTHING can snatch us from God's hand!  But there will be consequences here on earth when we disobey.  Ironically most people blame God when things go badly after THEY have made a bad decision.  Or they blame Satan.  But it is our sinful flesh!  The scripture passage in Romans says it best...

(Romans 6:1-14)  What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?3  Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; for he who has died is freed from sin.
Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

No comments: