Monday, January 31, 2022

today's meditation (Ps.116) Calling Upon the Lord

(Dear Lord Jesus, guide me and give me insight as I read and study Your word, and let it be the meditation of my heart...)

(Psalm 116:1-19) 
1   I love the Lord, because He hears 
     My voice and my pleas.
2   Because He has inclined His ear to me,
     Therefore I will call upon Him as long as I live.
3   The snares of death encompassed me 
     And the terrors of Sheol came upon me;
     I found distress and sorrow.
4   Then I called upon the name of the Lord:
     “Please, Lord, save my life!”

5   Gracious is the Lord, and righteous;
     Yes, our God is compassionate.
6   The Lord watches over the simple;
     I was brought low, and He saved me.
7   Return to your rest, my soul,
     For the Lord has dealt generously with you.
8   For You have rescued my soul from death,
     My eyes from tears,
     And my feet from stumbling.
9   I shall walk before the Lord 
     In the land of the living.
10 I believed when I said,
     “I am greatly afflicted.”
11 I said in my alarm,
     “All people are liars.”

12 What shall I repay to the Lord 
     For all His benefits to me?
13 I will lift up the cup of salvation,
     And call upon the name of the Lord.
14 I will pay my vows to the Lord;
     May it be in the presence of all His people!
15 Precious in the sight of the Lord 
     Is the death of His godly ones.
16 O Lord, I surely am Your slave,
     I am Your slave, the son of Your female slave,
     You have unfastened my restraints.
17 I will offer You a sacrifice of thanksgiving,
     And call upon the name of the Lord.
18 I will pay my vows to the Lord,
     May it be in the presence of all His people,
19 In the courtyards of the Lord’s house,
     In the midst of you, Jerusalem!
     Praise the Lord!

TODAY'S THOUGHTS AND MEDITATION:
Looking closely at verse 15, we see prophecy as well as doctrinal teaching.  When we become a believer, we die to sin!  Verse 16 continues this teaching, that God releases us from the slavery to sin.  Therefore - out of sincere gratitude - we should willingly become a slave to God, even though we have been set free!
It is because of the Lord's sacrificial and unconditional love that we can be saved.  The debt that He paid to redeem us is beyond anything we could ever imagine.  We can never repay the Lord for all that He has done for us or all that He is doing for us or all that He will do for us.  All that He wants from us - is our willing hearts!
God inclines His ear to those who fear Him.  He favors those who desire to live in His will.  Therefore, whenever we find ourselves in sin, we should be confessing this to Him.  Therefore, whenever we find ourselves in trouble or struggling, we should be calling upon Him.  Therefore, in our desire to remain steadfast in walking with Him, we should be continually talking with Him.  And we can know that He most certainly hears us!

No comments: