Tuesday, September 21, 2021

today's meditation (Psalm 3) Keep Focusing on the Lord

(Dear Lord Jesus, guide me and give me insight as I read and study Your word, and let it be the meditation of my heart...)

(Psalm 3:1-8)  Lord, how my enemies have increased!

     Many are rising up against me.
2   Many are saying of my soul,
    “There is no salvation for him in God.” Selah 

3   But You, Lord, are a shield around me,
     My glory, and the One who lifts my head.
4   I was crying out to the Lord with my voice,
     And He answered me from His holy mountain. Selah 
5   I lay down and slept;
     I awoke, for the Lord sustains me.
6   I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people 
     Who have set themselves against me all around.

7   Arise, Lord; save me, my God!
     For You have struck all my enemies on the cheek;
     You have shattered the teeth of the wicked.
8   Salvation belongs to the Lord;
     May Your blessing be upon Your people! Selah 

TODAY'S THOUGHTS AND MEDITATION:
Up until now, I always just assumed that "selah" meant peace.  I guess in some ways it could.  After a bit of google research, the meaning of this word isn't known, but some speculate that because David is writing songs to sing, "selah" could be like the musical symbol of a rest note.  In other words, have a poignant pause right there, in order to mediate on what has just been said.  Let that thought sink in for a bit. 
In this particular passage, we find three "selahs".  So what points are we to mediate on?  First of all, we will experience struggles in life.  If anyone had enemies out to kill them, it was David.  And if anyone had committed some very "serious" sins, it was David.  So as a strong believer (Christian), a huge betrayal and insult would be when someone slanders, gossips, and accuses you of being so wicked, there's no way that you are saved, and your sins prove that you are beyond saving!  
For anyone to say this sort of thing about anyone is doing the work of Satan, who plants seeds of skepticism, and makes accusations against God's children.  The intentions are to cause believers to doubt, and walk away from God.  But these tactics are only affective when we stop focusing on God, and put the focus on ourselves and the world.  YES - THEN - things will look bleak and hopeless!  So the second "selah" points out that we need to keep or put our focus back on God and cry out to Him.
This third and final "selah" is for us to meditate on God, and remember how He answers prayers!  Whether the attacks on us  are physical, psychological or emotional... these all work together to work against us.  But they will not be a threat when we are consistently seeking a close relationship with God.  When we focus on Him, we will realize His power, faithfulness and love!  The Lord is our shield, Who protects!  The Lord is our glory, Who gives us confidence!  The Lord is our sustainer, Who gives us strength and guidance!  The Lord is our salvation, Who gives us assurance and peace!  And this is forever!!!  Selah!!!  

No comments: