Thursday, September 2, 2021

today's meditation (Job 6-7) Venting and Processing

(Dear Lord Jesus, guide me and give me insight as I read and study Your word, and let it be the meditation of my heart...)

(Job 6:1-30)  Then Job responded,

2  “Oh if only my grief were actually weighed
     And laid in the balances together with my disaster!
3   For then it would be heavier than the sand of the seas;
     For that reason my words have been rash.
4   For the arrows of the Almighty are within me,
     My spirit drinks their poison;
     The terrors of God line up against me.
5   Does the wild donkey bray over his grass,
     Or does the ox low over his feed?
6   Can something tasteless be eaten without salt,
     Or is there any taste in the juice of an alkanet plant?
7   My soul refuses to touch them;
     They are like loathsome food to me.

8  “Oh, that my request might come to pass,
     And that God would grant my hope!
9  Oh, that God would decide to crush me,
     That He would let loose His hand and cut me off!
10 But it is still my comfort,
     And I rejoice in unsparing pain,
     That I have not denied the words of the Holy One.
11 What is my strength, that I should wait?
     And what is my end, that I should endure?
12 Is my strength the strength of stones,
     Or is my flesh bronze?
13 Is it that my help is not within me,
     And that a good outcome is driven away from me?

14 “For the despairing man there should be kindness from his friend;
     So that he does not abandon the fear of the Almighty.
15 My brothers have acted deceitfully like a wadi,
     Like the torrents of wadis which drain away,
16 Which are darkened because of ice,
     And into which the snow melts.
17 When they dry up, they vanish;
     When it is hot, they disappear from their place.
18 The paths of their course wind along,
     They go up into wasteland and perish.
19 The caravans of Tema looked,
     The travelers of Sheba hoped for them.
20 They were put to shame, for they had trusted,
     They came there and were humiliated.
21 Indeed, you have now become such,
     You see terrors and are afraid.
22 Have I said, ‘Give me something,’
     Or, ‘Offer a bribe for me from your wealth,’
23 Or, ‘Save me from the hand of the enemy,’
     Or, ‘Redeem me from the hand of the tyrants’?

24 “Teach me, and I will be silent;
     And show me how I have done wrong.
25 How painful are honest words!
     But what does your argument prove?
26 Do you intend to rebuke my words,
     When the words of one in despair belong to the wind?
27 You would even cast lots for the orphans,
     And barter over your friend.
28 Now please look at me,
     And see if I am lying to your face.
29 Please turn away, let there be no injustice;
     Turn away, my righteousness is still in it.
30 Is there injustice on my tongue?
     Does my palate not discern disasters?
(Job 7:1-21) 
1  “Is a person not forced to labor on earth,
     And are his days not like the days of a hired worker?
2   As a slave pants for the shade,
     And as a hired worker who eagerly waits for his wages,
3   So I am allotted worthless months,
     And nights of trouble are apportioned to me.
4   When I lie down, I say,
     ‘When shall I arise?’
     But the night continues,
     And I am continually tossing until dawn.
5   My flesh is clothed with maggots and a crust of dirt,
     My skin hardens and oozes.
6   My days are swifter than a weaver’s shuttle,
     And they come to an end without hope.

“Remember that my life is a mere breath;
     My eye will not see goodness again.
8   The eye of him who sees me will no longer look at me;
     Your eyes will be on me, but I will not exist.
9   When a cloud vanishes, it is gone;
     In the same way one who goes down to Sheol does not come up.
10 He will not return to his house again,
     Nor will his place know about him anymore.

11 “Therefore I will not restrain my mouth;
     I will speak in the anguish of my spirit,
     I will complain in the bitterness of my soul.
12 Am I the sea, or the sea monster,
     That You set a guard over me?
13 If I say, ‘My couch will comfort me,
     My bed will ease my complaint,’
14 Then You frighten me with dreams,
     And terrify me by visions,
15 So that my soul would choose suffocation,
     Death rather than my pains.
16 I waste away; I will not live forever.
     Leave me alone, for my days are only a breath.
17 What is man that You exalt him,
     And that You are concerned about him,
18 That You examine him every morning
     And put him to the test every moment?
19 Will You never turn Your gaze away from me,
     Nor leave me alone until I swallow my spittle?
20 Have I sinned? What have I done to You,
     Watcher of mankind?
     Why have You made me Your target,
     So that I am a burden to myself?
21 Why then do You not forgive my wrongdoing
     And take away my guilt?
     For now I will lie down in the dust;
     And You will search for me, but I will no longer exist.”


TODAY'S THOUGHTS AND MEDITATION:
Poor Job had to listen to his friend's insults which were in the guise of "helpful advice".  And here, Job said it well, specifically in verses 14 and 26.  Why would one add misery to misery?  When it comes to our physical, emotional, mental and spiritual wellbeing, a negative added to a negative does not make a positive!
As Christians, it can be a challenge to be gracious and patient with one another.  We must understand that we all struggle through various things at various times in our lives.  And when someone is suffering in some way, it can be difficult for them to have a pleasant and kind disposition.  
As I have struggled through various things throughout my life, it is not to excuse any of my behaviors!  I am always working on myself to improve, in God's strength.  I am more than willing to apologize for any wrong that I've done, and clear up any misunderstandings.  Sadly, I've had fellow believers accuse me of hurting them in some way, but refusing to tell me what I did.  HOW can we reconcile if you don't tell me?  How can I correct my errors if I don't know?  
Although not pleasant, all my various struggles have taught me valuable life-lessons!  First of all - I have learned how faithful and awesome God is!!!  God is the great healer of our souls!  Whatever anyone is going through at any moment - God is always the answer!  So...
Another big life-lesson has been to realize the importance of trying to be understanding, encouraging and patient!  There is a time and place to vent, and to not take anything personally and to not be shocked at what is shared.  And then there is a time to suggest prayer and looking into God's word to see how one should move forward.  Encouraging each other to keep looking to God!

No comments: