Sunday, May 26, 2019

praying effectively: Rejoice and Do Good (Ecc.3)

(Ecclesiastes 3:12-14)

I know that there is nothing better for them than to rejoice and to do good in one’s lifetime; 13 moreover, that every man who eats and drinks sees good in all his labor—it is the gift of God. 14 I know that everything God does will remain foreverthere is nothing to add to it and there is nothing to take from it, for God has so worked that men should fear Him.

Reminder:  "praying effectively" involves knowing God's will.  When we pray in His will (in His name), He may choose to not answer those prayers in the time period that we would like, or HOW we would like - but He will answer those prayers!

It is God's will:
- that we realize everything we need for an eternal life is through God (3:14)
- that we realize there is nothing we can do to earn our way to heaven, or earn favor with God.  God already loves us, and God provides the way (3:14)
- that we fear God (3:14)
- that we realize everything we have is a gift of God (3:13)
- that we should we rejoice (3:12)
- that we should do good (3:12)

Today's prayer:

Dear Lord Jesus, wow!  Usually when reading through Ecclesiastics, a person can get caught up in the theme of the hopeless, empty cycle of "vanity";  or get caught up in observing how Solomon tried all the worldly ways of fulfilling oneself - without favorable results.  Just like we can observe and get caught up in these same things in the world all around us - meanwhile missing or forgetting about the glaring message of light that is right in front of us!!!

Right here in these three verses, I was blown away by how much hopeful information there was.  And Solomon knew this already, yet he still had to try things the world's way.  And because he had the power and the financial means (more than any person on earth ever could) - he could really go all out in his efforts.  Only to find out that (no matter how much education, power, money or pleasure a person has) life is empty and incomplete without You in it.  And Your way provides all the answers for everything!

I know I have periodically tried it the world's way, or my way - and I have seen firsthand that these ways do not work.  And any time I live out Your way, things work out one hundred percent!  The outcome is often not how I would have had it - but then down the road I can see the brilliance of it.  So I confess my rebellious ways.

After all the good things that You have provided to us - AND You paid the price for sin so we could have eternal life as a gift - - - after realizing and choosing salvation - - - why would we ever want to stray?  Why would we not want to rejoice and be thankful?  Why would we not want to do good and obey?  Why would we not want to put You in first place for our life all the time?  Help me to continually keep You on my throne!  Direct my paths from day to day.  Keep me close and direct each step I take.  Amen.

No comments: