Thursday, April 11, 2019

praying effectively: Watch Yourself (Pv.4:20-27)

(Psalm 4:20-27)
20 My son, give attention to my words; incline your ear to my sayings.
21 Do not let them depart from your sight; keep them in the midst of your heart.
22 For they are life to those who find them and health to all their body.
23 Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life.
24 Put away from you a deceitful mouth and put devious speech far from you.
25 Let your eyes look directly ahead and let your gaze be fixed straight in front of you.
26 Watch the path of your feet and all your ways will be established.
27 Do not turn to the right nor to the left; turn your foot from evil.

Reminder:  "praying effectively" involves knowing God's will.  When we pray in His will (in His name), He may choose to not answer those prayers in the time period that we would like, or HOW we would like - but He will answer those prayers!

It is God's will:
- that we do not lie (4:24)
- that we do not speak manipulatively (4:24)
- that we are careful not to stray (4:26)
- that we avoid and turn away from evil (4:27)
- that we stay on the straight and narrow path (4:27)
- that we keep focused on God (4:25)
- that we hear and pay attention to biblical teaching (4:20)
- that we keep studying biblical teaching (4:21)
- that we keep biblical teaching in our hearts (4:21)
- that we diligently watch over our hearts (4:23)

Today's prayer:

Dear Lord Jesus, protect me from evil.  Protect me from myself, and from straying away from You.  Help me not to focus selfishly on myself, but help me stay focused on You and Your word.  Give me a great memory when it comes to Your biblical teaching to guard my heart and my path's direction!  Amen.

No comments: