Wednesday, April 17, 2019

praying effectively: Avoid the Adulteress (Pv.7)

(Proverbs 7:1-27)
 My son, keep my words and treasure my commandments within you.
Keep my commandments and live, and my teaching as the apple of your eye.
Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.
Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,” and call understanding your intimate friend;
That they may keep you from an adulteress, from the foreigner who flatters with her words.
For at the window of my house I looked out through my lattice,
And I saw among the naive, and discerned among the youths a young man lacking sense,
Passing through the street near her corner; and he takes the way to her house,
In the twilight, in the evening, in the middle of the night and in the darkness.
10 And behold, a woman comes to meet him, dressed as a harlot and cunning of heart.
11 She is boisterous and rebellious, her feet do not remain at home;
12 She is now in the streets, now in the squares, and lurks by every corner.
13 So she seizes him and kisses him and with a brazen face she says to him:
14 “I was due to offer peace offerings; today I have paid my vows.
15 “Therefore I have come out to meet you, to seek your presence earnestly, and I have found you.
16 “I have spread my couch with coverings, with colored linens of Egypt.
17 “I have sprinkled my bed with myrrh, aloes and cinnamon.
18 “Come, let us drink our fill of love until morning; let us delight ourselves with caresses.
19 “For my husband is not at home, he has gone on a long journey;
20 He has taken a bag of money with him, at the full moon he will come home.”
21 With her many persuasions she entices him; with her flattering lips she seduces him.
22 Suddenly he follows her as an ox goes to the slaughter, or as one in fetters to the discipline of a fool,
23 Until an arrow pierces through his liver; as a bird hastens to the snare, so he does not know that it will cost him his life.
24 Now therefore, my sons, listen to me, and pay attention to the words of my mouth.
25 Do not let your heart turn aside to her ways, do not stray into her paths.
26 For many are the victims she has cast down, and numerous are all her slain.
27 Her house is the way to Sheol, descending to the chambers of death.
Reminder:  "praying effectively" involves knowing God's will.  When we pray in His will (in His name), He may choose to not answer those prayers in the time period that we would like, or HOW we would like - but He will answer those prayers!

It is God's will:
- that we protect and value biblical commands (7:1)
- that we obey and value biblical teachings (7:2)
- that we commit biblical knowledge to memory (7:3)
- that we cherish wisdom and understanding (7:4)
- that we listen and pay attention to the biblical teachings (7:24)
- that we do not flirt with lust or adultery (7:25)

Today's prayer:

Dear heavenly Father, thank You for showing us the importance behind living a pure life.  Keeping sex within marriage is so critical to our spiritual walk and relationship with You, as well as with others.  Whether single or married.

Obviously we can look at king David's errors to see how lust can derail one's life.  And even when we reconcile things with You and others - and get back to a being steadfast - there can still be earthly consequences.  Even through those, Lord, give us wisdom and understanding to know how to keep focused on You, trusting that You will sort things out as they should be, and provide us with Your joy and contentment.

For all those betrayed by spouses, give them peace and strength and wisdom to know how to move on from that.  Keep them from growing angry and bitter.  Keep them from getting desperate.  Convict the straying spouse's heart to turn back to You - and if possible - guide them to marital reconciliation.  Thank You for Your forgiveness, grace, contentment, peace and love - and for Your patience.

Give me the wisdom and discernment to know when I'm in danger of going down that wrong path.  Give me the wisdom and discernment to know how to immediately get back on track with You and my husband.  I am so thankful for my godly husband.  Keep us from temptation.  Put a hedge of protection around us.  Keep our marriage strong by constantly putting You first in our lives.  And help us to keep our love pure, for each other and for others, in order to emulate the love that You have for us.  Amen.

No comments: