Friday, April 19, 2019

praying effectively: Keep God's Ways (Pv.8:22-36)

(Proverb 8:22-36)
22 “The Lord possessed me at the beginning of His way, before His works of old.
23 “From everlasting I was established, from the beginning, from the earliest times of the earth.
24 “When there were no depths I was brought forth, when there were no springs abounding with water.
25 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills I was brought forth;
26 While He had not yet made the earth and the fields, nor the first dust of the world.
27 “When He established the heavens, I was there, when He inscribed a circle on the face of the deep,
28 When He made firm the skies above, when the springs of the deep became fixed,
29 When He set for the sea its boundary so that the water would not transgress His command, when He marked out the foundations of the earth;
30 Then I was beside Him, as a master workman; and I was daily His delight, rejoicing always before Him,
31 Rejoicing in the world, His earth, and having my delight in the sons of men.
32 “Now therefore, O sons, listen to me, for blessed are they who keep my ways.
33 Heed instruction and be wise, and do not neglect it.
34 Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at my doorposts.
35 “For he who finds me finds life and obtains favor from the Lord.
36 “But he who sins against me injures himself; all those who hate me love death.”
Reminder:  "praying effectively" involves knowing God's will.  When we pray in His will (in His name), He may choose to not answer those prayers in the time period that we would like, or HOW we would like - but He will answer those prayers!

It is God's will:
- that we listen to and obey Jesus who is our perfect example (8:32)
- that we listen to and remember biblical instruction (8:33)
- that we are wise (8:33)

Today's prayer:

Dear Lord Jesus, thank You for being our perfect example - something to strive towards - in Your strength - with Your help.  Thank You that You know all things, and knew that we could never possibly be perfect, and yet You still created us and died on our behalf so that You could offer to us the free gift of eternal life with You in perfection and save us from ourselves.

Because You love us, Your desire is to give us a better way.  Help us realize that there is true wisdom behind all of Your instructions.  Forgive my stupid ways.  Guide me in Your ways and give me Your wisdom!!!  Help me to always remember and desire Your wisdom!!!  Amen.

No comments: