Friday, March 29, 2019

praying effectively: Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem (Ps.122, 130, 131)

(Psalm 122:1-9)
 I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go to the house of the Lord.”
Our feet are standing within your gates, O Jerusalem,
Jerusalem, that is built as a city that is compact together;
To which the tribes go up, even the tribes of the Lord— an ordinance for Israel— to give thanks to the name of the Lord.
For there thrones were set for judgment, the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem“May they prosper who love you.
“May peace be within your walls, and prosperity within your palaces.”
For the sake of my brothers and my friends, I will now say, “May peace be within you.”
For the sake of the house of the Lord our God, I will seek your good.
(Psalm 130:1-8)
Out of the depths I have cried to You, O Lord.
Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.
If You, Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?
But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be feared.
I wait for the Lord, my soul does wait, and in His word do I hope.
My soul waits for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; indeed, more than the watchmen for the morning.
O Israel, hope in the Lord; for with the Lord there is lovingkindness, and with Him is abundant redemption.
And He will redeem Israel from all his iniquities.
(Psalm 131:1-3)
Lord, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty; nor do I involve myself in great matters, or in things too difficult for me.
Surely I have composed and quieted my soul; like a weaned child rests against his mother, my soul is like a weaned child within me.
O Israel, hope in the Lord from this time forth and forever.
Reminder:  "praying effectively" involves knowing God's will.  When we pray in His will (in His name), He may choose to not answer those prayers in the time period that we would like, or HOW we would like - but He will answer those prayers!

It is God's will:
- that Israel as a nation will hope in the Lord (130:7, 131:3)
- that Israel as a nation gives thanks to the Lord (122:4)
- that we pray for Israel as a nation to find peace and prosperity in the Lord (122:6-7)

Today's prayer:

Our heavenly Father, You have the whole world in Your hands, so we do not have to worry about politics and global peace, but we are to put our hope in You and pray for our countries, for other countries, and especially for Israel.  Let them as a nation find peace and prosperity in You, and You alone.  Let all our countries be pursuing Your peace and prosperity.

When believers hear the call to specifically go to other countries to spread the gospel - equip them physically, emotionally and spiritually.  Give them the courage and the wisdom to be most effective in sowing seeds of good news.  Convict the hearts of the unsaved, and tear down the cultural and spiritual barriers in their way, so that they will have eyes to see and ears to hear.

Thank You that You forgive sins so that there is hope.  May we fear and rest in You, and allow our Light to shine out to others.  Amen.

No comments: