Monday, January 15, 2018

eschatology, Kingdom of God in Their Midst (Mt.21)

The Pharisees knew the scriptures, and therefore should have recognized the prophecy that was being fulfilled right in front of them.  The people were excited, but it is interesting how quickly people can get excited or enticed, and then immediately get distracted or disenchanted.  But here it was - what they had been waiting for - for so many years!!!  They had been asking "WHEN-WHEN-WHEN" were their covenants going to be fulfilled???  And now the possibility was right in their midst...

(Matthew 21:1-17)  When they had approached Jerusalem and had come to Bethphage, at the Mount of Olives, then Jesus sent two disciples, saying to them, “Go into the village opposite you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied there and a colt with her; untie them and bring them to Me. If anyone says anything to you, you shall say, ‘The Lord has need of them,’ and immediately he will send them.” This took place to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet:
Say to the daughter of ZionBehold your King is coming to you, gentle, and mounted on a donkey, even on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden.’”
The disciples went and did just as Jesus had instructed them, and brought the donkey and the colt, and laid their coats on them; and He sat on the coats. Most of the crowd spread their coats in the road, and others were cutting branches from the trees and spreading them in the road. The crowds going ahead of Him, and those who followed, were shouting,
“Hosanna to the Son of David;  blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord;  hosanna in the highest!”
10 When He had entered Jerusalem, all the city was stirred, saying, “Who is this?” 11 And the crowds were saying, “This is the prophet Jesus, from Nazareth in Galilee.”
12 And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves. 13 And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer’; but you are making it a robbers’ den.”
14 And the blind and the lame came to Him in the temple, and He healed them. 15 But when the chief priests and the scribes saw the wonderful things that He had done, and the children who were shouting in the temple, “Hosanna to the Son of David,” they became indignant 16 and said to Him, “Do You hear what these children are saying?” And Jesus said to them, “Yes; have you never read, ‘Out of the mouth of infants and nursing babies You have prepared praise for Yourself’?”17 And He left them and went out of the city to Bethany, and spent the night there.

Today's takeaway: notice when Jesus entered into Jerusalem and the news spread throughout the city, the buyers and sellers remained in the temple until Jesus came and threw them out - again!  I mean, a lot of criminals after being caught once, even if they continue in their crimes, will be more cautious not to be caught again.  But these people seemed to believe they were entitled and seemed to have no shame whatsoever! 

The chief priests who had obviously allowed business inside the temple - or maybe they were even involved in that money-making-scheme somehow - were indignant when they saw Jesus doing wonderful things in the temple!!!  Were they too infuriated about their lost revenue or that their positions of power were being challenged - that they were not able to recognize how their covenants were being unveiled right before their eyes?  Here were miracles of healing! - by the Son of David who just rode in on a donkey to present Himself as their King of kings - with the power and authority to fulfill all their covenants and take them into the Millennial kingdom?...

Nope!  Obviously they didn't really want that.  That would require a change of heart!  They would have had to accept Jesus and trust in and believe in Him... and then LOVE people???  That would conflict with what they all had going on, since they were in the business of taking advantage of people and calling all the shots. 

But how often are we as believers unwilling to change something because we think it is benefiting us somehow?  Thinking things like, "But it's fun" or "It's not really hurting anyone" or "Who's going to know?" etc.  Well, God knows, and if it's against God's will - then it is hurting someone and for sure it will be hurting myself.  But as we trust in God and do His will - allowing Him to change our hearts and our behavior - we will experience things that so much better...
(Psalm 16:1-11)  Preserve me, O God, for I take refuge in You.
I said to the Lord, “You are my Lord;  have no good besides You.”
As for the saints who are in the earth, they are the majestic ones in whom is all my delight.
The sorrows of those who have bartered for another god will be multiplied;  I shall not pour out their drink offerings of blood, nor will I take their names upon my lips.
The Lord is the portion of my inheritance and my cup;  You support my lot.
The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places;  indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me.
I will bless the Lord who has counseled me;  indeed, my mind instructs me in the night.
I have set the Lord continually before me;  because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices;  my flesh also will dwell securely.
10 For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol;  nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay.
11 You will make known to me the path of life;  iYour presence is fullness of joy;  in Your right hand there are pleasures forever.

No comments: