Saturday, January 20, 2018

eschatology, Judgment of Nations (Mt.7-8,25 Luke 7)

Throughout Jesus' ministry, He would speak this truth to the Israelites:  in order to enter the kingdom of heaven - one has to know Jesus personally.  Going through the motions or being born a Jew is not enough!  One has to become a Christian (be a believer)...

(Matthew 7:21-23)  “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’

Right after Jesus spoke with the disciples about the signs of the end of the (Jewish) age, Jesus describes what will happen at His second coming (at the end of the Tribulation and the battle of Armageddon).  The separation of the unbelievers (the goats) from the believers (the sheep) is what theologians have called "The Judgment of Nations"...

(Matthew 25:31-46)  “But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left.
34 “Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38 And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’
41 “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.’ 44 Then they themselves also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

A person is not a Christian because of what they do and not do, but BECAUSE a person is a Christian - there are things that they will try to do and not do.  We are given an example of what that can look like...

(Luke 7:1-8)  When He had completed all His discourse in the hearing of the people, He went to Capernaum. And a centurion’s slave, who was highly regarded by him, was sick and about to die. When he heard about Jesus, he sent some Jewish elders asking Him to come and save the life of his slave. When they came to Jesus, they earnestly implored Him, saying, “He is worthy for You to grant this to him; for he loves our nation and it was he who built us our synagogue.” Now Jesus started on His way with them; and when He was not far from the house, the centurion sent friends, saying to Him, “Lord, do not trouble Yourself further, for I am not worthy for You to come under my roof; for this reason I did not even consider myself worthy to come to You, but just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I also am a man placed under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to this one, ‘Go!’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come!’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this!’ and he does it.”

Notice that Roman centurion sent Jewish elders on his behalf.  Now these Jewish elders approached Jesus in a way that THEY thought would impress Him.  The elders told Jesus that the centurion WAS worthy because of the good works he had done, like building them their synagogue.  But the centurion knew that he was NOT worthy - and he had complete faith that Jesus could heal his servant from afar, without having to enter the house...

(Matthew 8:10-13)  Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those who were following, “Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel. 11 I say to you that many will come from east and west, and recline at the table with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven; 12 but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” 13 And Jesus said to the centurion, “Go; it shall be done for you as you have believed.” And the servant was healed that very moment.

Today's takeaway:  this last bit of information builds on the principles that Jesus was teaching.  Now, because Jesus, as their Messiah, was still focusing on the Israelites, He used the Millennial kingdom in His allegory.  For us - we can apply that to where we will go in the afterlife.  Just because someone is born into a certain family or culture or nation - this does not save us.  Just going to church every week - will not save us.  Being a "good" person - will not save us.  It is believing in Jesus and putting our faith in Him!

For me, since I have put my faith in Jesus for my eternal security - the struggle now can be putting that faith into everything I do - every day - every hour - for the big things - and for the small things.  Perhaps the biggest struggles are with the smaller things, because, okay, like, I really need God in the big things, but should I really bother Him with - ie. - What should I wear today???  How should I organize this schedule???  Should I say anything to that person, and if so, what should I say???  And the answer is - YES!!!  Why not!!!  We should!!!  I'm going to look at some Bible verses that are used a lot, but now look at them with this thought in mind, and with inserting the words "big or small" beside the "all things"...

(Romans 8:28)  And we know that God causes all things (BIG or SMALL) to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

(Romans 8:32)  He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things (BIG or SMALL)?

(1 Corinthians 2:20)  For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things (BIG or SMALL), even the depths of God.

(1 Corinthians 6:12)  All things (BIG or SMALL) are lawful for me, but not all things (BIG or SMALL) are profitable. All things (BIG or SMALL) are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything (BIG or SMALL).

(1 Corinthians 9:25)  Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things (BIG or SMALL). They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.

(1 Corinthians 10:31-33)  Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all (things BIG or SMALL) to the glory of God. 32 Give no offense either to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God; 33 just as I also please all men in all things (BIG or SMALL)not seeking my own profit but the profit of the many, so that they may be saved.

No comments: