Thursday, January 25, 2018

eschatology, the Hour (Jhn.13, 16)

Eschatology is all about God's timing and how He has decided to manage each step - or "age".  While reading through the gospels, we are approaching Jesus' crucifixion, and He begins to use the term "the hour" or "an hour".   God doesn't do anything on a random whim.  As well, I'm thinking He used this term so that the disciples could realize that - REALLY SOON - SOMETHING REALLY BIG WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!

I've heard people say things like, "If Jesus was so amazing, how was he eventually tricked, captured and killed?"  But we know from scriptures that Jesus came to earth for the purpose of making salvation possible - for all people - in order to fulfill the last part of the Abrahamic covenant.  Nothing can thwart God's plans!

God always knew that Israel would reject Jesus as their Messiah the first time.  And because of this, their Jewish Age was put on hold, until the Tribulation, where the "signs" of the end times will prompt many Jews (as a nation) to become believers and know that Jesus is coming again.  This is why Jesus told the disciples that He was not going to eat a Passover meal again until the Millennium...

(Luke 14:14-16)  When the hour had come, He reclined at the table, and the apostles with Him. 15 And He said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; 16 for I say to you, I shall never again eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.”

As prophesied in Genesis 3:15, by using Judas Iscariot, Satan was going to bruise Jesus on His heel, but Jesus was going to bruise Satan on the head.  Being omniscient, God knows what the spiritual realm is going to do, so of course He knows what mankind is going to do.  Even with man's free will, God knew and used men's sinfulness to accomplish His work on the cross...

(John 13:18-19)  I do not speak of all of you. I know the ones I have chosen; but it is that the Scripture may be fulfilled, ‘He who eats My bread has lifted up his heel against Me.’ 19 From now on I am telling you before it comes to pass, so that when it does occur, you may believe that I am He..."

As prophesied in Zechariah 11:12-13, Jesus was going to be betrayed for 30 pieces of silver.  Regarding Judas Iscariot - MAYBE he became a Christian right at the point when he was hanging himself - but as we can see throughout the gospels, it is clear that he was not a believer...

(Luke 22:3-5)  And Satan entered into Judas who was called Iscariot, belonging to the number of the twelve. And he went away and discussed with the chief priests and officers how he might betray Him to them. They were glad and agreed to give him money. So he consented, and began seeking a good opportunity to betray Him to them apart from the crowd.

Now we see Peter getting ahead of himself again!  Peter still had no idea what Jesus was really talking about, but this is classic human nature when people claim that they are strong and good and do not need God.  Seriously, even the new commandment that Jesus gives us here - to "love one another" - is not a simple thing!!!  Jesus prophesied correctly that Peter would deny Him three times.  Only with Christ's help can we actually love people the way we should...

(John 13:31-38)  Therefore when he had gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in Him; 32 if God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and will glorify Him immediately. 33 Little children, I am with you a little while longer. You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, now I also say to you, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come.’ 34 new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
36 Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, where are You going?” Jesus answered, Where I go, you cannot follow Me now; but you will follow later.” 37 Peter said to Him, “Lord, why can I not follow You right now? I will lay down my life for You.” 38 Jesus answered, Will you lay down your life for Me? Truly, truly, I say to you, a rooster will not crow until you deny Me three times..."

At the end of this next scripture portion, Jesus also prophesied that all the disciples were going to scatter from Him (which did occur at the moment Jesus was arrested).   This had also been prophesied in Zechariah 13:7.

So Jesus prepares the disciples for what is to come (in the Church Age).  Besides letting them know about the Holy Spirit (which was covered in yesterday's post), Jesus let the disciples (and us) know that in the Church Age, things will not be "easy" (it will not be a bed of roses - it will not be a Garden of Eden).   But (in the Church Age) with the Holy Spirit's help (with God's help) - we can be kept from stumbling - we can find understanding - we can find confidence - we can find peace - we can find joy...

(John 16:1-4)  “These things I have spoken to you so that you may be kept from stumbling. They will make you outcasts from the synagogue, but an hour is coming for everyone who kills you to think that he is offering service to God. These things they will do because they have not known the Father or Me. But these things I have spoken to you, so that when their hour comes, you may remember that I told you of them. These things I did not say to you at the beginning, because I was with you.
(John 16:16-33)  “A little while, and you will no longer see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me.” 17 Some of His disciples then said to one another, “What is this thing He is telling us, A little while, and you will not see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me’; and, ‘because I go to the Father’?” 18 So they were saying, “What is this that He says, ‘A little while’? We do not know what He is talking about.” 19 Jesus knew that they wished to question Him, and He said to them, “Are you deliberating together about this, that I said, ‘A little while, and you will not see Me, and again a little while, and you will see Me’? 20 Truly, truly, I say to you, that you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice; you will grieve, but your grief will be turned into joy. 21 Whenever a woman is in labor she has pain, because her hour has come; but when she gives birth to the child, she no longer remembers the anguish because of the joy that a child has been born into the world. 22 Therefore you too have grief now; but I will see you again, and your heart will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you.
23 In that day you will not question Me about anything. Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask the Father for anything in My name, He will give it to you. 24 Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full.
25 “These things I have spoken to you in figurative language; an hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figurative language, but will tell you plainly of the Father. 26 In that day you will ask in My name, and I do not say to you that I will request of the Father on your behalf; 27 for the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me and have believed that I came forth from the Father. 28 I came forth from the Father and have come into the world; I am leaving the world again and going to the Father.”
29 His disciples said, “Lo, now You are speaking plainly and are not using a figure of speech. 30 Now we know that You know all things, and have no need for anyone to question You; by this we believe that You came from God.” 31 Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe? 32 Behold, an hour is coming, and has already come, for you to be scattered, each to his own home, and to leave Me alone; and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. 33 These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peaceIn the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.”

Today's takeaway:  I have an excellent memory for events and for what I was feeling at the time.  For example, when I reminisce about the time in grade nine when my friends all betrayed me, and gossiped about me, and then ignored my very existence - I can still feel the hurt and the loneliness.  Thankfully, with God's help, I can forgive all these experiences and move on;  so when I do have such a memory - it's more like watching a movie about someone else - while "feeling" along with that person in that moment.

lol, and oddly enough, when I watch something like "Funniest Home Videos", whenever anyone gets hurt - I ACTUALLY FEEL THAT PAIN.  IT ACTUALLY HURTS!!!  But when I watch a movie or TV show where someone is struggling to give birth - I don't feel that pain.  Somehow it is different.  And I can say this definitively having had two children!  No details necessary!

So God uses "labor pains" a few times in the Bible.  It really is a poignant type of illustration.  Because of sin, Jesus came to earth in flesh (100% God), born through a virgin (to also be 100% man) - in order to bring hope.  Because of sin there is death, but because of Jesus' death - we can have life (we can be reborn).  Because of Israel's rejection, they will go through the Tribulation waiting for their Messiah to return - in order to have their covenants fulfilled.

The point being - upon salvation and the healing hope that we have through Christ, we can forget any horrible pains that we might experience.  God is so faithful and good!...

(Romans 5:1-5)  Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God. And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance;and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

(1 Peter 5:6-11)  Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. Be of sober spiritbe on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. 10 After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you. 11 To Him be dominion forever and ever. Amen.

No comments: