Tuesday, August 20, 2019

praying effectively: Be Kind and Merciful (Matt.5:7, 7:12, Lk.6:31)


(Luke 6:31)  “Treat others the same way you want them to treat you."

(Matthew 7:12)  “In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets."

(Matthew 5:7)  “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy."

Reminder:  "praying effectively" involves knowing God's will.  When we pray in His will (in His name), He may choose to not answer those prayers in the time period that we would like, or HOW we would like - but He will answer those prayers!

It is God's will:
- that we are kind to everyone, in every circumstance (Mt.7:12, Lk.6:31)
- that we are merciful (Mt.5:7)

Today's prayer:

Dear Lord Jesus, such a simple "rule" - such a simple memory aid about how to treat others - but not always easy for me to always carry out!  Help me to slow down and think before I speak and act.  Help me to consider everything I do and say towards others.

Help me to be merciful, which would encompass all these things, like showing love, kindness, compassion, and being understanding and forgiving... Thank You for showing me mercy, and thank you for Your everlasting gracious patience towards Your children!  Guide me towards demonstrating these attributes to those around me.  Amen.

No comments: