Thursday, November 15, 2018

spiritual battle, Singing Before Angels (Rev.14)

I love how God breaks up the darkness of what is happening on earth during the Tribulation!  As we read through Revelation, He gives us wonderful moments of reprieve and hope!

We have already seen that during the Tribulation, almost at the beginning of it, God will seal the 144,000 Israelites, representing all twelve tribes, so that there is a guarantee that there will be Israelites left alive at the end of the Tribulation, in order to enter the Millennial kingdom and see all their covenants fulfilled.

But these won't be the only Israelites to enter the Millennium alive.  Throughout the Tribulation, the 144,000 will be spreading the gospel message, so that other Israelites will become believers.  And then remember, as we just read, God will protect the Israelites and hide them and protect them from Satan in the wilderness during the second half of the Tribulation.

So now we see a victorious vision of what will happen at the very end of the Tribulation.  A heavenly voice will teach a new song to the 144,000 Israelites.  And only they will sing this song before the throne, the four living creatures and the elders...

(Revelation 14:1-13)  Then I looked, and behold, the Lamb was standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His name and the name of His Father written on their foreheads. And I heard a voice from heaven, like the sound of many waters and like the sound of loud thunder, and the voice which I heard was like the sound of harpists playing on their harps. And they sang a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders; and no one could learn the song except the one hundred and forty-four thousand who had been purchased from the earth. These are the ones who have not been defiled with women, for they have kept themselves chaste. These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes. These have been purchased from among men as first fruits to God and to the Lamb. And no lie was found in their mouth; they are blameless.

From this we see:
- at the end of the Tribulation, the 144,000 who will have been sealed, will learn and sing a new song to the Lord, which not even the angels or other saints will know (14:3)

Personal experience:  I've mentioned my depression in college before.  It was a dark and hopeless time.  And even though I felt numb and robotic, I kept going to church, simply because I knew it was a good thing to do.

Oddly enough, I would ask God to help me and give me hope, yet I still kept trying to "pull myself up by my bootstraps" - which - for anyone else who has gone through depression, you know that is impossible to do.

I believe God let me linger in that darkness for a several months, then sent the "light at the end of the tunnel" which gave me a sense of hope in order to want to keep on living and trying.  This gave me plenty of time to contemplate things.

Hindsight can be a beautiful thing, because NOW I can understand where I went wrong.  If only I had completely relied on God for everything, instead of giving Him only bits and pieces, while trying to do most things in my own effort. 

Now when I experience mini-bouts of depression, I know what to do in order to continue on - in God's strength - with a continued hope, and a deeper sense of contentment and joy.

If someone has never experienced depression, they cannot completely understand all of this.

Today's takeaway:  I am thankful that God allowed me to experience that depression.  I learned a lot about myself and the strength and faithfulness of God.  As well, I am able to share with others who are going through similar experiences.

There are so many different types of struggles people can go through.  And no matter what it is, God can use that to His glory when we allow Him...

(1 Peter 5:6-11)  Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. Be of sober spiritbe on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. 10 After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you. 11 To Him be dominion forever and ever. Amen.

No comments: