Saturday, November 10, 2018

spiritual battle, The Beast (Rev.11)

In the first half of the Tribulation, the Beast (the Antichrist) will make a covenant with the Israelites, allowing them to build their temple.

Also during the first half of the Tribulation, the two witnesses will be going throughout the earth spreading the gospel message as well as prophesying as to what is coming.  These two men are empowered with the Holy Spirit, much like Elijah and Moses had been...

(Revelation 11:1-6)  Then there was given me a measuring rod like a staff; and someone said, “Get up and measure the temple of God and the altar, and those who worship in it. Leave out the court which is outside the temple and do not measure it, for it has been given to the nations; and they will tread under foot the holy city for forty-two months. And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth.” These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth. And if anyone wants to harm them, fire flows out of their mouth and devours their enemies; so if anyone wants to harm them, he must be killed in this way. These have the power to shut up the sky, so that rain will not fall during the days of their prophesying; and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood, and to strike the earth with every plague, as often as they desire.

We will soon see in scriptures that the Antichrist is empowered by "the Beast" (a demon).  And at the halfway point of the Tribulation, he will break his covenant with the Israelites - setting up an image of himself inside their temple as the only one to worship.

Also around the half way point, the Beast will mock Christmas and Easter by killing the two witnesses and leaving their dead bodies on display for more than three days.  People will celebrate this by giving gifts to one another...

(Revelation 11:7-10)  When they have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up out of the abyss will make war with them, and overcome them and kill them. And their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city which mystically is called Sodom and Egypt, where also their Lord was crucified. Those from the peoples and tribes and tongues and nations will look at their dead bodies for three and a half days, and will not permit their dead bodies to be laid in a tomb. 10 And those who dwell on the earth will rejoice over them and celebrate; and they will send gifts to one another, because these two prophets tormented those who dwell on the earth.

God is not to be mocked!  After three and a half days, God resurrects and raptures the two witnesses.  The people who were not killed by the earthquake that ensued, momentarily gave God the glory...

(Revelation 11:11-14)  But after the three and a half days, the breath of life from God came into them, and they stood on their feet; and great fear fell upon those who were watching them. 12 And they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, “Come up here.” Then they went up into heaven in the cloud, and their enemies watched them. 13 And in that hour there was a great earthquake, and a tenth of the city fell; seven thousand people were killed in the earthquake, and the rest were terrified and gave glory to the God of heaven.
14 The second woe is past; behold, the third woe is coming quickly.

From this we see:
- the Antichrist is empowered by "the Beast", a demon who comes out of the abyss (11:7)
- the Beast will mock Christmas and Easter by killing the two witnesses and leaving their dead bodies on display for more than three days.  People will celebrate this by giving gifts to one another (11:8-10)

Personal experience:  many people during or right after devastating events, like natural disasters or war or struggling with a dysfunctional family situation, have an immediate inclination to pray and/or go to church.  For many though, it is only done out of fear, and the sentiments are not sincere and do not last - especially when the dangers of death or discomfort have past.

Then, they will get caught up again in whatever their peers are doing, even if it is outright mocking God.  And their excuse will be, "I've tried talking to God and going to church - and it doesn't work!"

Today's takeaway:  going through the motions of prayer and attending church will not fool God, if a person has not asked Jesus into their hearts.  And God knows the sincerity of our hearts!...

(1 Samuel 16:6-7)  When they entered, he looked at Eliab and thought, “Surely the Lord’s anointed is before Him.” But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 
(Isaiah 10-19)  Hear the word of the Lord, you rulers of Sodom; give ear to the instruction of our God, you people of Gomorrah.
11 What are your multiplied sacrifices to Me?” Says the Lord. “I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of fed cattle; and I take no pleasure in the blood of bulls, lambs or goats.
12 “When you come to appear before Me, who requires of you this trampling of My courts?
13 “Bring your worthless offerings no longer, incense is an abomination to Me. New moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies—I cannot endure iniquity and the solemn assembly.
14 “I hate your new moon festivals and your appointed feasts, they have become a burden to Me; I am weary of bearing them.
15 “So when you spread out your hands in prayerI will hide My eyes from you; yes, even though you multiply prayers, I will not listen. Your hands are covered with blood.
16 Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your deeds from My sight. Cease to do evil,
17 Learn to do good; seek justice, reprove the ruthless, defend the orphan, plead for the widow.
18 “Come now, and let us reason together,” says the Lordthough your sins are as scarlet, they will be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they will be like wool.
19 If you consent and obey, you will eat the best of the land;
(Psalm 139:1-24) Lord, You have searched me and known me.
You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar.
You scrutinize my path and my lying down, and are intimately acquainted with all my ways. even before there is a word on my tongue, behold, O Lord, You know it all.
You have enclosed me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is too high, I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.
If I take the wings of the dawn, if I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,
10 Even there Your hand will lead me, and Your right hand will lay hold of me.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, and the light around me will be night,”
12 Even the darkness is not dark to You, and the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike to You.
13 For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb.
14 I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;
16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them.
17 How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand. When I awake, I am still with You.
19 O that You would slay the wicked, O God; depart from me, therefore, men of bloodshed.
20 For they speak against You wickedly, and Your enemies take Your name in vain.
21 Do I not hate those who hate You, O LordAnd do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
22 I hate them with the utmost hatred; they have become my enemies.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts;
24 And see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way.

No comments: