Monday, April 30, 2018

spiritual battle, Satan Uses a Serpent (Gen.3)

My next topic as I read through the Bible will be focusing on the spiritual battle:  everything that the Bible says about angels and demons, and the spiritual realm.  Throughout this Bible-topic-read-through, I will also share some of my personal experiences as examples of what is being said. 

Whether you are dealing with something spiritual right now or not, the one thing that I will point out right before we begin is (as we'll see from God's words) always keep our focus on God!!!  He is our only defense.  And our loving, everywhere-present, all-knowing, all-powerful God is amazing!!!

The first evidence of spiritual warfare is when Satan used a serpent in order to speak to Eve...

(Genesis 3:1-5)  Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, “Indeed, has God said, ‘You shall not eat from any tree of the garden’? The woman said to the serpent, “From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat; but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.’” The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die! For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

We see from this that:
- Satan is crafty
- Satan can possess, or oppress, or manipulate animals
- Satan has some knowledge (knowing what God has said)
- Satan twists truths around and outright lies in order to deceive mankind and take their focus away from God
- Satan appeals to our pride (for example: how we like to think we are so smart, or how we like to think we are in control, or how we might want to - not only be LIKE God - but be a god...)

Personal experience:  demons can manipulate and move things.

When I was little, my mom had spent months making a clown-doll to hang on the wall in my room, right below a sconce.  When I saw the clown point at me, repeatedly, I finally had the courage to call out for my mom, begging her to please remove the clown.  She was very angry and told me that it was all in my imagination.  She had worked so hard to make it!!!  But days later, in extreme frustration (because I kept pleading with her), she took the clown away.

Decades later, I mentioned this memory, and she quickly said, "I didn't believe you then, but I do now."  In fact, several years after that incident, my parents felt it necessary to go into every corner of every room praying for God to fill the space and remove all evil.  Because of someone else, there had been occult activity, which had "invited" a few demons into our home.

Of course, now I know that it was not the clown that was evil.  It wasn't the clown that needed to be removed, but the evil spirits that were "visiting" our house. 

Today's takeaway:  Eve chose to interact with the talking snake, instead of going straight to God for His insights.  She probably figured that she would handle the situation herself, but we see that Eve was a little confused about what God actually said, which was...

(Genesis 2:16)  The Lord God commanded the man, saying, “From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; 17 but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.”

Eve had added that they are not to even "touch it" or they will die.  It is important for us to know exactly what GOD says so that we will not be deceived...

(Proverbs 30:5-6)  Every word of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar.

No comments: