Wednesday, September 20, 2017

eschatology: Covenant Reminder to Isaac (Gen.26)

Back in those days especially, important details would have been passed down to each generation by word of mouth, but God does not just leave it up to mankind to keep His promises alive...  God speaks directly to Isaac...

(Genesis 26:1-5)  Now there was a famine in the land, besides the previous famine that had occurred in the days of Abraham. So Isaac went to Gerar, to Abimelech king of the Philistines. The Lord appeared to him and said, “Do not go down to Egypt; stay in the land of which I shall tell you.  Sojourn in this land and I will be with you and bless you, for to you and to your descendants I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath which I swore to your father Abraham. I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven, and will give your descendants all these lands; and by your descendants all the nations of the earth shall be blessed; because Abraham obeyed Me and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes and My laws.”

(Genesis 26:23-25)  Then he went up from there to Beersheba. 24 The Lord appeared to him the same night and said,
I am the God of your father Abraham;
Do not fear, for I am with you.
will bless you, and multiply your descendants,
For the sake of My servant Abraham.”
25 So he built an altar there and called upon the name of the Lord, and pitched his tent there; and there Isaac’s servants dug a well.

Today's takeaway:  God's guidance is consistent!

(James 1:17)  Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.

No comments: