Friday, December 10, 2021

today's meditation (Ps.73) Waiting is Worth It

(Dear Lord Jesus, guide me and give me insight as I read and study Your word, and let it be the meditation of my heart...)

(Psalm 73:1-28) God certainly is good to Israel,
     To those who are pure in heart!
2   But as for me, my feet came close to stumbling,
     My steps had almost slipped.
3   For I was envious of the arrogant 
     As I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
4   For there are no pains in their death,
     And their belly is fat.
5   They are not in trouble like other people,
     Nor are they tormented together with the rest of mankind.
6   Therefore arrogance is their necklace;
     The garment of violence covers them.
7   Their eye bulges from fatness;
     The imaginations of their heart overflow.
8   They mock and wickedly speak of oppression;
     They speak from on high.
9   They have set their mouth against the heavens,
     And their tongue parades through the earth.

10 Therefore his people return here,
     And abundant waters are drunk by them.
11 They say, “How does God know?
     And is there knowledge with the Most High?”
12 Behold, these are the wicked;
     And always at ease, they have increased in wealth.
13 Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure 
     And washed my hands in innocence;
14 For I have been stricken all day long,
     And punished every morning.

15 If I had said, “I will speak this way,”
     Behold, I would have betrayed the generation of Your children.
16 When I thought of understanding this,
     It was troublesome in my sight 
17 Until I entered the sanctuary of God;
     Then I perceived their end.
18 You indeed put them on slippery ground;
     You dropped them into ruin.
19 How they are destroyed in a moment!
     They are utterly swept away by sudden terrors!
20 Like a dream when one awakes,
     Lord, when stirred, You will despise their image.

21 When my heart was embittered 
     And I was pierced within,
22 Then I was stupid and ignorant;
     I was like an animal before You.
23 Nevertheless I am continually with You;
     You have taken hold of my right hand.
24 You will guide me with Your plan,
     And afterward receive me to glory.

25 Whom do I have in heaven but You?
     And with You, I desire nothing on earth.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
     But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
27 For, behold, those who are far from You will perish;
     You have destroyed all those who are unfaithful to You.
28 But as for me, the nearness of God is good for me;
     I have made the Lord God my refuge,
     So that I may tell of all Your works.

TODAY'S THOUGHTS AND MEDITATION:
I love the picture that David paints of God taking his hand and guiding him through life.  This is what God does when one becomes a believer.  God has a plan for each of us, which goes alongside His plans.  And even though we struggle and stumble, God is with us continuously!  He will never let go of our hand.  
We might look away from Him or act disobediently, but as our perfect heavenly Father, He will discipline us, but never disown us.  And because He is faithful, one day He will take us home to be with Him in glory.  Here is where the real treasures are!!!  And it will be so worth the wait!!!

No comments: