Friday, October 5, 2018

spiritual battle, Satan's Thorn (2 Cor.12)

In these first few verses of 2 Corinthians 12, Paul talks about himself in the third person.  Before he had gone on his first mission trip, he had been "caught up" (somehow) to the third heaven.

The Greek word for "caught up" is "rapture";  and as Paul says, he wasn't sure if it was an "in the body" or an "out of the body" experience.

While he was "there", he saw things which he wasn't allowed to talk about.  And maybe while he was there, Jesus mentored him, since all the disciples/apostles had gotten to spend actual face-time with Jesus.  (I'm only speculating on this last point, because this event would have happened soon after Paul's conversion.) 

Nonetheless, as Paul says below, he heard inexpressible words...

(2 Corinthians 12:1-6)  Boasting is necessary, though it is not profitable; but I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord. I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not knowGod knows—such a man was caught up to the third heaven. And I know how such a man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, God knows— was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which a man is not permitted to speak. On behalf of such a man I will boast; but on my own behalf I will not boast, except in regard to my weaknesses. For if I do wish to boast I will not be foolish, for I will be speaking the truth; but I refrain from this, so that no one will credit me with more than he sees in me or hears from me.

Paul knew that this experience could have caused him to be prideful.  And so God allowed a demon to torment Paul - somehow.

Many assume that Paul had issues with eyesight or migraines or maybe had epilepsy or malaria... Whatever it was - Paul never tells us.  And it isn't important, because it could have side-tracked us with maybe comparing ailments, etc., which would have kept us from seeing the main point of Paul's message - that in our weakness, we can be strong when we lean on God's strength!

Another point that we can draw from the following scripture is that Paul prayed to be delivered from this disease and/or spiritual attack, but never was.  God obviously heard Paul's prayers, but chose not to take away the "thorn".  It was not because Paul had sin in his life.  And it was certainly not because Paul didn't have enough faith.  God had reasons to leave it there, and Paul accepted that as a blessing...

(2 Corinthians 12:7-10)  Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself! Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

From this we see:
- a demon was sent to torment Paul, and even though Paul asked God three times to remove it, God chose to leave it there, so Paul would keep looking to Him for strength (2 Cor.12:7-10)

Personal experience:  my one-year-missionary-stint was the worst and the best of times.

No doubt, it was a very difficult year.  There was the usual cultural shock.  There was loneliness because I left good friends behind and it took a while to find and make new ones.  I sat through a hurricane.  I experienced depression.  Besides the spiritual warfare attacks which caused various tensions within the mission unit, my younger brother's actions (guided by his "friend in the crack in the wall") caused a continuous spiritual battle within the family.

But through all of these things I could see how God provided and protected us, which caused me to grow in my faith.  I would not change this experience for anything!

And it was while I was feeling very "comfortable" that I got dengue, a disease which is carried by mosquitoes.  This took me down several days and weeks.  AND because it caused an auto-immune issue, I now get sick very quickly.

Realizing that the vulnerability for chronic infection is like a barometer for me, I have learned to trust God for my strength, and look to Him for guidance in what I should do and how much I should try to do - each and every step of the way.

My health issue is not as obvious as some others.  My mom had struggled with cancer for a few years before it took her life - even though the doctors had given her a very positive prognosis for complete recovery.  I knew that she had searched her heart to make sure there wasn't any sin in her life causing her prayers to be hindered.  And still, some people judged her.

Would anyone dare to judge apostle Paul???  We must know that sometimes God allows something to remain with us as a test - as well as a testimony to others.  If we say that God is always there for us, yet we never struggle through anything, how would that statement hold any weight at all?

As my mom remained joyous, positive and cooperative during all her procedures and extended hospital stays, the doctors and nurses marveled at this and would ask her why she wasn't angry or throwing a fit.  This gave her an opportunity to share God's words.

When she did pass away, so many people were at her funeral!  Many of those were the doctors and nurses that she had come in contact with over the years.  And at the funeral service, they all had another chance to hear the gospel message.

Today's takeaway:  we should not and cannot judge others regarding their heart's condition.  We can only judge our own hearts as to whether or not we are in God's will.  And even while judging ourselves, we still need God's guidance in doing that...

(2 Corinthians 13:5-14)  Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you—unless indeed you fail the test? But I trust that you will realize that we ourselves do not fail the test. Now we pray to God that you do no wrong; not that we ourselves may appear approved, but that you may do what is right, even though we may appear unapproved. For we can do nothing against the truth, but only for the truth. For we rejoice when we ourselves are weak but you are strong; this we also pray for, that you be made complete. 10 For this reason I am writing these things while absent, so that when present need not use severity, in accordance with the authority which the Lord gave me for building up and not for tearing down.
11 Finally, brethren, rejoice, be made complete, be comforted, be like-minded, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you. 12 Greet one another with a holy kiss. 13 All the saints greet you.
14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.

No comments: