Wednesday, October 3, 2018

spiritual battle, Satan's Schemes of Doubt (2 Cor.11)

Another one of Satan's schemes is to make us think that the gospel cannot be as simple as it is.

Often a person's thinking is, "If this is free, is it too good to be true?"  Or when something is priced too low, we wonder "What's wrong with it?"

Just so, the temptation after hearing the gospel message is to think, "But, there must be a catch!  I must have to do something in order to earn and keep God's love and salvation!"

Even though Paul had led the church of Corinth to Christ, he was concerned that while he was away the believers would be tempted to listen to "other" religious leaders and cult leaders and then be led astray...

(2 Corinthians 11:1-6)  I wish that you would bear with me in a little foolishness; but indeed you are bearing with me. For I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy; for I betrothed you to one husband, so that to Christ I might present you as a pure virgin. But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ. For if one comes and preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted, you bear this beautifully. For I consider myself not in the least inferior to the most eminent apostles. But even if I am unskilled in speech, yet I am not so in knowledge; in fact, in every way we have made this evident to you in all things.

From this we see:
- Satan uses the simplicity of the gospel to cause people to doubt (2 Cor.11:3)
- Satan will send us different spirits which can deceive us if we listen to and accept them (2 Cor.11:4)

Personal experience:  back when I was still single, there was a very nice Christian guy who asked me if I wanted to go grab a meal and then see a movie.  Because I was still in college and wanting to focus on my studies, I was not ready to date anyone yet.  So I made it very clear to him (BEFORE we went out that evening) that we were only friends.  And I was going to pay my own way.

Sure-sure-sure!  But when we got to paying the bill, he insisted that he pay.  Oy.  By the end of the evening he wanted to hold my hand.  I remained very stern and adamant that I DID know my own mind, and I did not want to date ANYONE while I was still going to college!!!  I believe he finally got the message, and that was the very last time we ever hung out ever again! 

But this same sort of thing happens even with just friends.  They'll insist on paying the entire bill, saying, "It's my treat!"  But it invariably comes back to - "Isn't it your turn to treat???"

Today's takeaway:  just so, the world has a very difficult time understanding that the God who created the universe loves us so very much that He offers us salvation - for free!  And it is forever!!!

Sadly, some churches have bought into the lie that believers can lose their salvation.  Or that one becomes a Christian partly by believing, and partly through works.  But this "belief" (this LIE) actually diminishes how people will view God's love and power.  By believing this lie, people are actually saying that God is a liar.

There are many verses in the Bible that can be taken out of context to support those lies, but those verses are actually talking about people who hear the gospel message, but still reject Jesus and the truth and do NOT become believers.

So let's look at the verses that are very clear about God's intentions!

God knows that we can never pay Him back!  The price for death and salvation could only have been paid by Jesus' death and resurrection.  And Jesus could only do that because He is God!!!...

(Ephesians 1:13-14)  In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession, to the praise of His glory.

(Ephesians 2:8-10)  For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

(Romans 11:29)  for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable

(John 13:5-10b)  Then He poured water into the basin, and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded. So He came to Simon Peter. He said to Him, “Lord, do You wash my feet?” Jesus answered and said to him, “What I do you do not realize now, but you will understand hereafter.” Peter said to Him, “Never shall You wash my feet!” Jesus answered him, If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.” Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, then wash not only my feet, but also my hands and my head.” 10 Jesus said to him, He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean..."

(Hebrews 6:1-12)  Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of instruction about washings and laying on of hands, and the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment. And this we will do, if God permits. For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame. For ground that drinks the rain which often falls on it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God; but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned.
But, beloved, we are convinced of better things concerning you, and things that accompany salvation, though we are speaking in this way. 10 For God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love which you have shown toward His name, in having ministered and in still ministering to the saints. 11 And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence so as to realize the full assurance of hope until the end, 12 so that you will not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

No comments: