Tuesday, October 2, 2018

spiritual battle, Satan's Schemes of Division (2 Cor.1, 10)

Our flesh is sinful and  we continue to make mistakes, but we cannot solve the underlying issue by just "doing better" or trying to follow a bunch of rules.  If we could solve or fight the battle with our flesh, then there would be no need for salvation or the Holy Spirit;  but the issue is spiritual...

(2 Corinthians 10:3-6)  For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, and we are ready to punish all disobedience, whenever your obedience is complete.

And because we cannot solve our issues with the flesh, we will continue to sin;  so even once we are saved through Jesus and sealed by the Holy Spirit - we need God's grace.  And just as we have accepted God's forgiveness and grace, we need to show God's forgiveness and grace to our brothers and sisters in Christ when they do something wrong.

Paul wrote to the church in Corinth about a particular situation.  A man had been rebellious in some way, and so the congregation was punishing him.  Concerned, Paul told them that not only should they all forgive him, but they had to let the man know that they still loved him and he needed to be comforted and restored to fellowship - - - OTHERWISE, Satan could use that situation to cause further issues with that man and with the church...

Some of Satan's schemes include getting believers to continue self-accusation and introspection;  as well as getting believers to become self-righteous and judgmental.  Obviously, when these two things are put together, divisions will be created.

So as long as the matter was not resolved, Satan not only kept the congregation and the man estranged, Satan also kept that church and Paul estranged...

(2 Corinthians 2:4-11)  For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote to you with many tears; not so that you would be made sorrowful, but that you might know the love which I have especially for you.
But if any has caused sorrow, he has caused sorrow not to me, but in some degree—in order not to say too much—to all of you. Sufficient for such a one is this punishment which was inflicted by the majority, so that on the contrary you should rather forgive and comfort him, otherwise such a one might be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. Wherefore I urge you to reaffirm your love for him. For to this end also I wrote, so that I might put you to the test, whether you are obedient in all things. 10 But one whom you forgive anything, I forgive also; for indeed what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, I did it for your sakes in the presence of Christ, 11 so that no advantage would be taken of us by Satan, for we are not ignorant of his schemes.

From this we see:
- our battle is not according to the flesh.  Our flesh is sinful, but the issue and the solution is spiritual (2 Cor.10:3-4)
- we can only fight our sinful nature and "fight" Satan using God's power (2 Cor.10:3-4)
- Satan's schemes are to destroy the church and take advantage of believers when they sin, in order to cause further damage and divisions.  These sins include being self-righteous with a desire to not fully reconcile with others, as well as not accepting God's forgiveness and grace for oneself (2 Cor.2:11)

Personal experience:  I have struggled with both of those sins:  self-righteousness and self-abasement.

It took me many years to figure out that I needed to forgive my younger brother and show him real love and grace.

It was when I asked God to forgive him for me - a weight literally lifted off of me.  Not only would that have been the "chains" of all the bad things my brother had put me through during childhood (which had been negatively impacting my life up until that moment), but it was also my own sin of self-righteousness that was being lifted off of me.

This is the first time I'm really seeing and admitting that part of it - of me struggling with self-righteousness!  Because quite often, I'm the one feeling like the " misunderstood victim" - which then goes down that road of self-abasement!  Like, "I'm such a terrible person!  I really don't deserve to live!... etc. etc. etc. and blah blah blah..."  Therefore, by now I'm pretty good at throwing my own pity-parties!!!

And as I read through those scriptures above, I see now that I'm actually "inviting Satan" to my party!  SOOOO NOT what I want!!!  I need to stop that, and KNOW - in that moment - that God's forgiveness, love and grace is eternal.  I have been adopted by the Heavenly Father.  And as a child of God, I can be confident in Him and go to Him for everything.

And so - I need to invite GOD to my party and change it from a pity-party to one of thankfulness!  Or maybe - an intervention party for myself - with God leading the invention!!!  I obviously have a problem which needs healing!!!

As a child of God, this does mean that I should forgive everyone who hurts me - whether they apologize or not.  I need to apologize to those I hurt - whether they forgive me or not.  I can only control myself, and so I can only do the best I can to facilitate reconciliation.  PRAYER is also the main ingredient here.  For myself and for everyone else.

Today's takeaway:  we should be constantly praying for healing, reconciliation and unity in the Spirit...

(1 Corinthians 1:3-10)  Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given you in Christ Jesus, that in everything you were enriched in Him, in all speech and all knowledge, even as the testimony concerning Christ was confirmed in you, so that you are not lacking in any gift, awaiting eagerly the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will also confirm you to the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
10 Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment.

No comments: