Thursday, March 22, 2018

eschatology, Third Trumpet: Wormwood Waters (Rev.8:10-11)

An angel blows the third trumpet.  A great star will fall from heaven and make a third of all drinking water bitter.  There will be many deaths from this, as fresh drinking water is critical for people to stay alive...

(Revelation 8:10-11)  The third angel sounded, and a great star fell from heaven, burning like a torch, and it fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of waters. 11 The name of the star is called Wormwood; and a third of the waters became wormwood, and many men died from the waters, because they were made bitter.

Today's takeaway:  I have found myself in a few situations where I was desperate for water.  One such time was - back in the day - during a really long workout for the college cross-country team.  It was a HOT day, and the coach had laid out an eight mile route on the hilly back roads.  Because the team was small and we ran at different paces, we were spread out and alone.

Long story short, about three quarters of the way, I found myself close to collapsing from dehydration and heat exhaustion.  So when a creepy place of business came into sight, I stepped inside and asked for water.  They were not about to be all that kind, but said I could drink whatever water would come out of the hose outside.  It was rusty, and I don't know what all else. 

Thinking back to this now, I'm wondering how I didn't collapse on the spot - in that very isolated and questionable area, but I'm so very thankful that God kept me safe and strong enough to get back!  And I will never take the availability of water for granted!  God is so good, looking out for us both physically and spiritually...

(Psalm 23:1-)  The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;  He leads me beside quiet waters.
He restores my soul;  He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, fear no evil, for You are with me;  Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;  You have anointed my head with oil;  mcup overflows.
Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

No comments: