Saturday, May 2, 2020

today's meditation (Gn.18:9-15) Grow Our Faith

(Dear Lord Jesus, let Your words impact my life...)

(Genesis 18:9-15)  Then they said to him, “Where is Sarah your wife?” And he said, “There, in the tent.” 10 He said, “I will surely return to you at this time next year; and behold, Sarah your wife will have a son.” And Sarah was listening at the tent door, which was behind him. 11 Now Abraham and Sarah were old, advanced in age; Sarah was past childbearing. 12 Sarah laughed to herself, saying, “After I have become old, shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?” 13 And the Lord said to Abraham, “Why did Sarah laugh, saying, ‘Shall I indeed bear a child, when I am so old?’ 14 Is anything too difficult for the Lord? At the appointed time I will return to you, at this time next year, and Sarah will have a son.” 15 Sarah denied it however, saying, “I did not laugh”; for she was afraid. And He said, “No, but you did laugh.”

TODAY'S THOUGHTS AND MEDITATION:

Well... this is meditation is short and sweet!  It wasn't wrong of Sarah to laugh, but she denied doing so.  We have to understand - God sees and hears everything - even the stuff that goes on in our heads!!!  I need to remember to confess my sinful thoughts, and any thoughts of doubt and denial... I know that would certainly help my faith to grow in the Lord!

And here God said it - - - "Is anything too difficult for the Lord?"  No!

Remember when Mary was told that she would give birth to the Savior, even though she was still a virgin.  Being human and fallible, I'm sure she was initially terrified at the news... so the angel Gabriel added that (her relative) Elizabeth was also pregnant even though she was well beyond childbearing years, ending with the phrase "For nothing will be impossible with God" (Luke 1:37). 

So when Mary went to visit Elizabeth, I'm quite sure this story about Abraham and Sarah would have come up in conversation, a story which had been passed along throughout the generations.  Not only seeing Elizabeth pregnant, but remembering this story and its outcome would have helped Mary's faith in God.

It helps us to hear that other people have gone through similar things.  And it especially helps to hear how God answered their prayers and got them through their challenges.  This is one reason why it is so important to get together with other believers - to share our experiences - and to encourage and build each other up in our faith in the Lord...

No comments: