Monday, April 6, 2020

today's meditation: (Gn.2:1-3) Day of Rest

(Dear Lord Jesus, let me see what You want me to see...)

(GENESIS 2:1-3)  Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts. By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

TODAY'S THOUGHTS AND MEDITATION:

This scripture portion is short, but I feel that it is enough.  The message in these few verses are very poignant.  God, as our ultimate example, worked six days, then rested.  Not only did He take a day to rest, but He blessed it and "sanctified" it... He set it apart and declared it holy.

And something just jumped out at me that I've never noticed before!  God completed His work.  Again, as our ultimate example, we can see that God did what He had to, and got it done.  No messing around!

If He were hired today by some company to do a job, He would not be taking extra long coffee breaks and lunch breaks, or He would not be sneaking off somewhere trying to just "look" busy, or He would not be secretly playing computer games with a plan to quickly click onto a work tab when someone walked by...

As we are created in God's image and likeness, we should work as if God were our boss.  Even when "just" working at home, or from home, are we getting the job done?  In the past, whenever I have asked God to "do it for me" - I will suddenly find myself doing the least favorable task possible - with joy, and newfound energy and motivation and inspiration.  And once it is done, I can look back on it with such pure satisfaction.

I can only imagine how much God enjoyed His day of rest!  I used to always imagine God retreating and being by Himself, but... remember, He was not alone!  He always has been a Trinity.  And from everything we know about God, He is not selfish or self-centered.

And now as I'm thinking about this - He had just created man and woman!!!  I have to imagine that God would have used this time to have a type of "meeting" and communion with Adam and Eve, so that they could get to know each other better.  Adam and Eve would have been able to visit and get to know God at the most personal level possible!  It would have been their CHURCH!!!

Sundays (or whichever day one chooses as their sabbath) should not be a time to selflessly retreat.  How much should going to church be considered a privilege, as a weekly opportunity to gather with our family, and sit, and rest at God's feet!

No comments: