Saturday, September 15, 2018

spiritual battle, Angel Guide (Acts 8)

Philip had just left Samaria, and had entered Ethiopia...

(Acts 8:25)  So, when they had solemnly testified and spoken the word of the Lord, they started back to Jerusalem, and were preaching the gospel to many villages of the Samaritans.

While there, Philip suddenly got some pretty clear and specific instructions from an angel!!!  Although the angel only got Philip going in the direction he should to go.  Philip still had to be obedient, and in faith, keep his eyes open as he kept praying and asking the Holy Spirit, "Okay - - - what next?"...

(Acts 8:26-28)  But an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip saying, “Get up and go south to the road that descends from Jerusalem to Gaza.” (This is a desert road.) 27 So he got up and went; and there was an Ethiopian eunuch, a court official of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was in charge of all her treasure; and he had come to Jerusalem to worship, 28 and he was returning and sitting in his chariot, and was reading the prophet Isaiah. 

Now the Holy Spirit spoke to Philip about what he should do next...

(Acts 8:29-38)  Then the Spirit said to Philip, “Go up and join this chariot.” 30 Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31 And he said, “Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?” And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. 32 Now the passage of Scripture which he was reading was this:
He was led as a sheep to slaughterAnd as a lamb before its shearer is silentSo He does not open His mouth.
33 In humiliation His judgment was taken awayWho will relate His generationFor His life is removed from the earth.”
34 The eunuch answered Philip and said, “Please tell me, of whom does the prophet say this? Of himself or of someone else?” 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him. 36 As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch said, “Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?” 37 [And Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”] 38 And he ordered the chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch, and he baptized him. 

Here we have a biblical incident of teleportation.  I would say "first class travel"!!!

Again it was the Holy Spirit.  My Bible-version-go-to is the NASB, which capitalizes any of God's names.  This definitely helps with interpreting various portions of scripture.  Although I am curious why Philip first had an angel guide him, and then the rest was the Holy Spirit guiding him.

Could the "Spirit" have actually been an angel helping out???  Perhaps.  But God is certainly more than capable of doing anything, including guiding us and getting us to where we need to be...

(Acts 8:39-40)  When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away; and the eunuch no longer saw him, but went on his way rejoicing. 40 But Philip found himself at Azotus, and as he passed through he kept preaching the gospel to all the cities until he came to Caesarea.

From this we see:
- an angel gave Philip very clear directions about where to go (Acts.8:26)
- the Holy Spirit guided Philip to the Ethiopian (Acts 8:29)
- the Holy Spirit physically took Philip to another city (Acts 8:39)

Personal experience:  I think often we say we don't like to be told what to do every second of the day, like having a micro-manager for a boss;  but very often we not only need it, but we realize we want it!  I mean, having a GPS to get around faster without getting lost is so brilliant!!!

And forget Siri or Alexa!  In the last few years, I have been trying to listen for God's voice more!  I want God to be my spiritual and emotional and physical GPS.  Like, "Okay, Lord, I just finished this.  What should be next?"

Some people say they actually hear His voice.  I do not.  I will hear something in my brain, but often I'm not sure if that's just ME "talking" (thinking).  So I process that out.  Okay, if it is just from me - is it godly?  Is there any conflict with God's words?  Does it make solid sense???

What I have found in my life and in my husbands life, is that God has guided us in some very unique ways.  It would take pages and pages to describe.  So I'm only going to use my latest "for instance" experience...

I had served in church for quite a few years in our "creative arts ministry", which then practically disappeared, as the church was moving in other directions as far as ministries go.  Feeling that the few things that I am already doing is probably not enough, I have been praying for God to show me where else I could use my quirky gifts.

Just a few weeks ago, as I was chatting with a young lady, we got on a topic which led to a discovery - that a new ministry was being formed.  Talk about good timing!!!  She introduced me to a few of the people who were putting this together, and yesterday was our first meeting of "the music-writing collaboration ministry".  Not sure if that's the official title, but within two hours, we had practically written one worship song.  It just "fell together".  And it sounded really good!!!

If you know anything about artists collaborating in a creative process, you will understand how easily and quickly things can become derailed.  BUT - the Holy Spirit was working among us!!!  BECAUSE we were all willing to be unified and guided by the Holy Spirit!!!

Today's takeaway:  when we ask God for something, we have to remember to "wait" on Him - for His answers and His directions.  Too often we become impatient.  Or, we think we don't like the answer or direction.  I believe, if we give God the benefit of the doubt, we would be very pleasantly surprised...

(Lamentations 3:25)  The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him.

(Psalm 27:13-14)  I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. 14 Wait for the Lord; bstrong and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the Lord.

 (Isaiah 40:27-31)  Why do you say, O Jacob, and assert, O Israel,
“My way is hidden from the Lord, and the justice due me escapes the notice of my God”?
28 Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable.
29 He gives strength to the weary, and to him who lacks might He increases power.
30 Though youths grow weary and tired, and vigorous young men stumble badly,
31 Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary.

No comments: