Monday, July 9, 2018

spiritual battle, Enthroned Above the Angels (Psalms)

As I noticed last week, in the Psalms, David only writes about his earthly enemies, even though he obviously experienced demonic activities.

Below I will give some of the scriptures for each point listed - of what David DOES mention in the psalms:
1.  God (the Lord Jesus Christ) is the Lord of hosts
2.  the Lord of hosts is enthroned above the angels
3.  the Lord of hosts has a heavenly army
4.  the Lord of hosts is the angel of the Lord and is the one who delivers and protects us from evil
5. God has dominion and authority over the entire spiritual realm, therefore He, Himself, is more than able to deliver us from ANY evil


For the first psalm that I'll copy-paste, I do want to include the entire psalm to also emphasize that - as believers, (Christians / saints / children of God) we not only receive eternal salvation, but also have been given a special attention and priority regarding all these things.  When we realize this, then what we read below will have a much greater impact!


1.  GOD (the Lord Jesus Christ) is THE LORD OF HOSTS...

 (Psalm 24:1-10)  The earth is the Lord’s, and all it contains, the world, and those who dwell in it.
For He has founded it upon the seas and established it upon the rivers.
Who may ascend into the hill of the LordAnd who may stand in His holy place?
He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who has not lifted up his soul to falsehood and has not sworn deceitfully.
He shall receive a blessing from the Lord and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
This is the generation of those who seek Him, who seek Your face—even Jacob. Selah.
Lift up your heads, O gates, and be lifted up, O ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in!
Who is the King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle.
Lift up your heads, O gates, and lift them up, O ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in!
10 Who is this King of glory? The Lord of hostsHe is the King of glory. Selah.

(Psalm 46:1-2a, 7-11)  God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear... 
The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our strongholdSelah.
Come, behold the works of the LordWho has wrought desolations in the earth.
He makes wars to cease to the end of the earth; He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two; He burns the chariots with fire.
10 “Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
11 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our strongholdSelah.

(Psalm 84:1, 4-5, 8-9, 11-12)  How lovely are Your dwelling places, Lord of hosts!...
How blessed are those who dwell in Your houseThey are ever praising You. Selah.
How blessed is the man whose strength is in You, in whose heart are the highways to Zion!...
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer; give ear, O God of Jacob! Selah.
Behold our shield, O God, and look upon the face of Your anointed...
11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord gives grace and glory; no good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly.
12 Lord of hosts, how blessed is the man who trusts in You!


2.  THE LORD OF HOSTS / GOD OF HOSTS is enthroned above the angels...

(Psalm 80:1, 7)   Oh, give ear, Shepherd of Israel, You who lead Joseph like a flock; You who are enthroned above the cherubim, shine forth!...

O God of hosts, restore us and cause Your face to shine upon us, and we will be saved.

(Psalm 89:5-11)  The heavens will praise Your wonders, O LordYour faithfulness also in the assembly of the holy ones.
For who in the skies is comparable to the LordWho among the sons of the mighty is like the Lord,
A God greatly feared in the council of the holy ones, and awesome above all those who are around Him?
Lord God of hosts, who is like You, O mighty LordYour faithfulness also surrounds You.
You rule the swelling of the sea; when its waves rise, You still them.
10 You Yourself crushed Rahab like one who is slain; You scattered Your enemies with Your mighty arm.
11 The heavens are Yours, the earth also is Yours; the world and all it contains, You have founded them.

 (Psalm 99:1-5)  The Lord reigns, let the peoples tremble; He is enthroned above the cherubim, let the earth shake!
The Lord is great in Zion, and He is exalted above all the peoples.
Let them praise Your great and awesome name; Holy is He.
The strength of the King loves justiceYou have established equityYou have executed justice and righteousness in Jacob.
Exalt the Lord our God and worship at His footstool; Holy is He.


3.  THE LORD OF HOSTS has HIS heavenly army...

(Psalm 68:17-20)  The chariots of God are myriads, thousands upon thousandsthe Lord is among them as at Sinai, in holiness.
18 You have ascended on high, You have led captive Your captives; You have received gifts among men, even among the rebellious also, that the Lord God may dwell there.
19 Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears our burden, the God who is our salvation. Selah.
20 God is to us a God of deliverances; and to God the Lord belong escapes from death.

(Psalm 18:1-15)  “I love You, O Lord, my strength.”
The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; mshield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.
The cords of death encompassed me, and the torrents of ungodliness terrified me.
The cords of Sheol surrounded me; the snares of death confronted me.
In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried to my God for help; He heard my voice out of His temple, and my cry for help before Him came into His ears.
Then the earth shook and quaked; and the foundations of the mountains were trembling and were shaken, because He was angry.
Smoke went up out of His nostrils, and fire from His mouth devoured; coals were kindled by it.
He bowed the heavens also, and came down with thick darkness under His feet.
10 He rode upon a cherub and flew; and He sped upon the wings of the wind.
11 He made darkness His hiding place, His canopy around Him, darkness of waters, thick clouds of the skies.
12 From the brightness before Him passed His thick clouds, hailstones and coals of fire.
13 The Lord also thundered in the heavens, and the Most High uttered His voice, hailstones and coals of fire.
14 He sent out His arrows, and scattered them, and lightning flashes in abundance, and routed them.
15 Then the channels of water appeared, and the foundations of the world were laid bare at Your rebuke, O Lord, at the blast of the breath of Your nostrils.  (Psalm 18 continues for...)

4.  THE LORD OF HOSTS is THE ANGEL OF THE LORD and is the one who delivers and protects us from evil...

(Psalm 35:1-10)  Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me.
Take hold of buckler and shield and rise up for my help.
Draw also the spear and the battle-axe to meet those who pursue me; say to my soul, “I am your salvation.”
Let those be ashamed and dishonored who seek my life; let those be turned back and humiliated who devise evil against me. 
Let them be like chaff before the wind, with the angel of the Lord driving them on.
Let their way be dark and slippery, with the angel of the Lord pursuing them.
For without cause they hid their net for me; without cause they dug a pit for my soul.
Let destruction come upon him unawares, and let the net which he hid catch himself; into that very destruction let him fall.
And my soul shall rejoice in the Lord; it shall exult in His salvation.
10 All my bones will say, “Lordwho is like You, Who delivers the afflicted from him who is too strong for him, and the afflicted and the needy from him who robs him?”

5.  GOD HAS DOMINION AND AUTHORITY over the entire spiritual realm, therefore He, Himself, is more than able to deliver us from ANY evil...

(Psalm 34:4-9, 15-18)  I sought the Lord, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.
They looked to Him and were radiant, and their faces will never be ashamed.
This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him, and rescues them.
taste and see that the Lord is good; how blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! 
O fear the Lord, you His saints; for to those who fear Him there is no want...
15 The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and His ears are open to their cry.
16 The face of the Lord is against evildoers, tcut off the memory of them from the earth.
17 The righteous cry, and the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles.
18 The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

From this we see:
- God (the Lord Jesus Christ) is the Lord of hosts (Ps.24, 46, 48, 69, 80, 84)
- the Lord of hosts is enthroned above the angels (Ps.80, 89, 99)
- angels also called holy ones and sons of the mighty (Ps.89)
- the Lord of hosts has a heavenly army (Ps.18, 68)
- the Lord of hosts is the angel of the Lord and is the one who delivers and protects us from evil (Ps.35)
- God has dominion and authority over the entire spiritual realm, therefore He, Himself, is more than able to deliver us from ANY evil  (Ps.34)

Personal experience:  at one point when I would pray for protection, I would ask God to send His angels, but then I realized - who am I to determine who or what is needed in any particular situation?!

Today's takeaway:  God is in charge of His angels!  He directs them as He sees fit.  Therefore it is more than enough to simply ask God to protect me.

And whoever is following my blog, even though I don't know you or your name, I hope you know that I do pray for you!!!  I pray that whatever I write, only helps point us to God and His will and His word alone...

(Psalm 121:1-8)  I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LordWho made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand.
The sun will not smite you by day, nor the moon by night.
The Lord will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul.
The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forever.

No comments: