Wednesday, June 13, 2018

spiritual battle, Medium's Séance (1 Sam.28)

Today's devotion is in chapter 28, but I'm going to jump back a bit to highlight a very important detail...

(1 Samuel 25:1)  Then Samuel died; and all Israel gathered together and mourned for him, and buried him at his house in Ramah.

We already know that even before Samuel's death, because of Saul's disobedience, the relationship between him and Samuel had been severed.  As well, his disobedience impacted the relationship between himself and God.  So when Saul realized that there was trouble in the land and he tried to find out what to do - God would not answer him.

I'm kind of impressed that Saul had removed all mediums from the land, BUT AGAIN, Saul was only going through the motions.  If only he had confessed his sins in order to fix his "heart-condition" and mend his relationship with God!  Instead, he sought out a medium.  Interestingly, he asked the medium to conjure up Samuel...

(1 Samuel 28:3-11)  Now Samuel was dead, and all Israel had lamented him and buried him in Ramah, his own city. And Saul had removed from the land those who were mediums and spiritists. So the Philistines gathered together and came and camped in Shunem; and Saul gathered all Israel together and they camped in Gilboa. When Saul saw the camp of the Philistines, he was afraid and his heart trembled greatly. When Saul inquired of the Lordthe Lord did not answer him, either by dreams or by Urim or by prophets. Then Saul said to his servants, “Seek for me a woman who is a medium, that I may go to her and inquire of her.” And his servants said to him, “Behold, there is a woman who is a medium at En-dor.”
Then Saul disguised himself by putting on other clothes, and went, he and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night; and he said, “Conjure up for me, please, and bring up for me whom I shall name to you.” But the woman said to him, “Behold, you know what Saul has done, how he has cut off those who are mediums and spiritists from the land. Why are you then laying a snare for my life to bring about my death?” 10 Saul vowed to her by the Lord, saying, “As the Lord lives, no punishment shall come upon you for this thing.” 11 Then the woman said, “Whom shall I bring up for you?” And he said, “Bring up Samuel for me.”

From all her experience as a medium, the woman was not expecting to actually see Samuel.  This is why she was so freaked out.  She was expecting to see a demon impersonating Samuel.  But for this moment, God miraculously produced or allowed the actual spirit of Samuel to speak.

And Saul was traumatized because he was reminded again about his disobedience and was told of the consequences:  he and his sons were going to die the very next day...

1 Samuel 28:12-25)  When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out with a loud voice; and the woman spoke to Saul, saying, “Why have you deceived me? For you are Saul.” 13 The king said to her, “Do not be afraid; but what do you see?” And the woman said to Saul, “I see a divine being coming up out of the earth.” 14 He said to her, “What is his form?” And she said, “An old man is coming up, and he is wrapped with a robe.” And Saul knew that it was Samuel, and he bowed with his face to the ground and did homage.
15 Then Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?” And Saul answered, “I am greatly distressed; for the Philistines are waging war against me, and God has departed from me and no longer answers me, either through prophets or by dreams; therefore I have called you, that you may make known to me what I should do.” 16 Samuel said, “Why then do you ask me, since the Lord has departed from you and has become your adversary? 17 The Lord has done accordingly as He spoke through me; for the Lord has torn the kingdom out of your hand and given it to your neighbor, to David. 18 As you did not obey the Lord and did not execute His fierce wrath on Amalek, so the Lord has done this thing to you this day. 19 Moreover the Lord will also give over Israel along with you into the hands of the Philistines, therefore tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. Indeed the Lord will give over the army of Israel into the hands of the Philistines!”
20 Then Saul immediately fell full length upon the ground and was very afraid because of the words of Samuel; also there was no strength in him, for he had eaten no food all day and all night. 21 The woman came to Saul and saw that he was terrified, and said to him, “Behold, your maidservant has obeyed you, and I have taken my life in my hand and have listened to your words which you spoke to me. 22 So now also, please listen to the voice of your maidservant, and let me set a piece of bread before you that you may eat and have strength when you go on your way.” 23 But he refused and said, “I will not eat.” However, his servants together with the woman urged him, and he listened to them. So he arose from the ground and sat on the bed. 24 The woman had a fattened calf in the house, and she quickly slaughtered it; and she took flour, kneaded it and baked unleavened bread from it. 25 She brought it before Saul and his servants, and they ate. Then they arose and went away that night.

From this we see:
- mediums practice necromancy, (pretending) to consult the dead to determine the future through séances
- mediums are actually consulting with demons (IF not "successful" with that, they know enough psychology to read people and tell them what they want to hear;  and now with the internet, they can do a more extensive research into someone's life)
- because demons do not die, they are able to follow people around for years and learn things about them
- demons are able to communicate with people
- demons are able to impersonate people

Personal experience:  my adopted (younger) brother - along with his ancestral demons - came into our lives when I was 7 years old.

My grandfather was still alive, but already in a wheelchair.  I was very close to him!  Living only a block away, I would visit him as often as I could.  But because of a massive stroke, he could only mumble a few words;  so I held up most of the conversations, sharing everything on my heart and mind.  He was so patient and loving, and he had all the time in the world for me!

I was 10 years old when he passed away.  I missed him a lot, but understood that he was now in heaven and no longer suffering.

I was 15 years old when I went through that rebellious phase.  First drifting away from God and my parents, and then being betrayed by my friends - I felt very alone.

It was at that point, when I was laying in bed and trying to fall asleep - when "my ghost-like-grandfather" - in a wheelchair - came out of my opened closet.  At first I just lay there, staring, and thinking how this could be happening.  Yes, I was actually seeing this.  No, that was not really my grandfather.

Not sure what I was supposed to do, I slowly turned around to look the other way and close my eyes.  Fortunately I had to common sense not to engage in any conversation.  Being a Christian, albeit a backslidden one, I knew God, and I knew this was not from God.

So, when we hear people (even celebrities) claim that a certain medium was able to tell them things about one of their deceased loved ones - details that no one could possibly know - - - we can know that those facts either came from demons!  Or it was based on really good research, or it was a really good guess!

Today's takeaway:  Satan wants us to NOT seek out God or God's guidance.  Satan and his demons will do anything to get our focus away from God.  What possible benefit would we have in speaking to demons?  Absolutely none!

And even if we were able to speak to our loved ones who have already passed on - what benefit would we have in that?  None!

Why are people so enamored by the spiritual realm, when God, Himself, came to earth and performed amazing miracles, then died for all our sins and rose from the dead so we could be saved and have eternal life!  Jesus created the universe and all that is in it!  He is all-powerful, and wants to be there for us!  God wants us in the present, and wants us to trust in Him for everything.  And there is every benefit in doing that!...

(John 20:20-31)  Therefore many other signs Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.

(Acts 4:12)  And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”

(Romans 10:4-13)  For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. For Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is based on law shall live by that righteousness. But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ (that is, to bring Christ down), or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).”But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13 for “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

(Ephesians 1:2-14)  Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished on us. In all wisdom and insight He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him 10 with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that isthe summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth. In Him 11 also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, 12 to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ would be to the praise of His glory. 13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession, to the praise of His glory.

No comments: