Thursday, December 14, 2017

eschatology, the Two Witnesses (Zech.3-4)

Zechariah had a few unique visions where he actually saw other people getting visions of the end times.  The first one was of Joshua being told that Jesus would remove evil from the earth in one day (at the battle of Armageddon).  Jesus being both the "Branch", and the "stone" with seven eyes (a reference of the eyes is found in Rev.5.6).  The "inscription" written on the "stone" (Jesus) just might be "KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS" (Rev.19:16), or it could be the mysterious name mentioned in Rev.19:12.  Jesus will lead the people who became believers during the Tribulation into the Millennium, which will be a time when everyone will get along...

(Zechariah 3:6-10)  And the angel of the Lord admonished Joshua, saying, “Thus says the Lord of hosts, ‘If you will walk in My ways and if you will perform My service, then you will also govern My house and also have charge of My courts, and I will grant you free access among these who are standing hereNow listen, Joshua the high priest, you and your friends who are sitting in front of you—indeed they are men who are a symbol, for behold, I am going to bring in My servant the Branch. For behold, the stone that I have set before Joshua; on one stone are seven eyes. Behold, I will engrave an inscription on it,’ declares the Lord of hosts, ‘and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day. 10 ‘In that day,’ declares the Lord of hosts, ‘every one of you will invite his neighbor to sit under his vine and under his fig tree.’

The second vision of another person contained Zerubbabel getting a vision of the the Temple being finished through the power of the Holy Spirit...

(Zechariah 4:6-10)  Then he said to me, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel saying, ‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the Lord of hosts. ‘What are you, O great mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become a plain; and he will bring forth the top stone with shouts of “Grace, grace to it!”’”  Also the word of the Lord came to me, saying, The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house, and his hands will finish it. Then you will know that the Lord of hosts has sent me to you. 10 For who has despised the day of small things? But these seven will be glad when they see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel—these are the eyes of the Lord which range to and fro throughout the earth.”

Within the second vision, Zechariah noticed two olive branches - "light bearers" - representing the two anointed ones (these being the two witnesses he had just seen in his visions: Joshua and Zerubbabel).  Interestingly, there are two mighty "witnesses" who arise during the Tribulation (found in Rev.11:1-6, which references two olive trees and lampstands).

Remember Daniel had been told in a vision that there would be (70 weeks) 490 years to complete the Jewish Age.  The Jewish Age began in 445 BC with the decree from Artaxerxes Longimanus to rebuild Jerusalem's Temple and Wall.  Zerubbabel would live to witness this.  And the Jewish Age would end at the battle of Armageddon, which Joshua had witnessed in his vision...

(Zechariah 4:11-13)  Then I said to him, “What are these two olive trees on the right of the lampstand and on its left?” 12 And I answered the second time and said to him, “What are the two olive branches which are beside the two golden pipes, which empty the golden oil from themselves?” 13 So he answered me, saying, “Do you not know what these are?” And I said, “No, my lord.” 14 Then he said, “These are the two anointed ones who are standing by the Lord of the whole earth.”

Today's takeaway:  we can only share what we have witnessed and experienced.  I read a book on how to witness to people of various cults and religions.  It always came down to - find some common concern/s with the person - and then share your experience/s of being a Christian!  They cannot disagree or argue with that.  It's your testimony.  It's your experience. 

Because I became a believer at the age of 4, my conversion experience was not all that dramatic, so I always thought my testimony would be "boring."  But our testimony is much more than that.  What has God all done in my life?  What is God doing in my life right now?  It's very exciting and continuously life-changing!

Using scripture is good.  We are told to handle God's word accurately, and it will not return void!  Therefore - just share what you do know.  If they try to argue with what the verse says, it's okay to say, "I can get back to you on that." or "That's what God says in His word.  Read the Bible for yourself, and take it up with Him"

Sometimes, all it takes is for you to be living in the way you should.  Just a while ago, I determined that I needed to bow my head in prayer before eating - no matter where I was, or who was with me.  So, while on a long flight, there was a lady who sat beside me.  We didn't say all that much to each other, but after we had landed, she told me how much she enjoyed being a seat-neighbor and that I had such a beautiful, loving spirit.  I was a little taken aback.  If I were to describe myself, it would be "intense" or "edgy"... And what had I done that made her think all of this???  As we left the airplane, there wasn't any further opportunity to share anything with her - so I just hoped I had remembered to bow in prayer before eating so she could connect a few dots!!!  And I prayed that somehow a tiny seed had been planted.  It's not up to us to convince someone to become a believer - that's the job of the Holy Spirit - but we are to be a light to the world...

(Matthew 5:15-16)  “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15 nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

No comments: