Friday, March 10, 2017

JESUS and Jacob's Wrestling Match (Gen.29-32)

The drama of Jacob continues.  Escaping the wrath of his brother Esau, Jacob goes to live with his Uncle Laban. On Jacob's journey there, the LORD speaks to him in a dream to remind him of the Abrahamic covenant.  Interestingly, the entire time he's living in Laban's home, Jacob doesn't mention (his) God to anyone, except when it's convenient in arguments with Laban.  Although we see later in this scripture portion that Laban prefers to worship idols,  Maybe Jacob thought since Laban was "religious", he could put the fear of God into Laban... comparing his God to Laban's gods... "my God is bigger than your gods..."  lol, just speculating here on this.  Anyway...

Throughout the years, Laban had deceived and taken advantage of Jacob several times.  Jacob worked 7 years in order to marry Rachel, only to discover that he actually married Leah, the oldest sister.  Jacob then agreed to work 7 more years for Rachel.  Then 7 more years for some sort of payoff.  (Let's not even get into the female drama that he had to endure.)  But don't feel too bad for Jacob!  Remember that Jacob deceived and took advantage of his brother, Esau.  In fact, Jacob's name means "one who supplants".

While working the last 7 years for Laban - with an established deal for payments due - Jacob manages to pull a "slow fast-one" on Laban;  then escapes with all that is now his.  Unbeknownst to Jacob, Rachel has stolen Laban's household idols; so now Laban is in hot pursuit and catches up to them.  Not finding the idols, Laban and Jacob begrudgingly make a covenant to respect a boundary line that they set up.

Once Laban has left the camp, Jacob now considers the next hurdle he must face... his brother Esau, so Jacob FINALLY turns to God in order to plead for protection (Gen.32:9-12).  Although, it was still God who got Jacob's attention by sending angels to the camp.  And - Jacob still thinks he has to bargain with God - reminding God of His promises - in order to get what he wants.  After this prayer, when he is alone, Jacob meets "a man"...

(Genesis 32:24-30)   Then Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him until daybreak.  25 When he saw that he had not prevailed against him, he touched the socket of his thigh; so the socket of Jacob’s thigh was dislocated while he wrestled with him.  26 Then he said, “Let me go, for the dawn is breaking.” But he said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.”  27 So he said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.”  28  He said, “Your name shall no longer be Jacob, but Israel; for you have striven with God and with men and have prevailed.”  29  Then Jacob asked him and said, “Please tell me your name.” But he said, “Why is it that you ask my name?” And he blessed him there. 30 So Jacob named the place Peniel, for he said, “I have seen God face to face, yet my life has been preserved.”

With what we just read, we can assume that this "man" could be God manifested - the Jesus of the Old Testament.  Probably assuming that he is facing life or death, Jacob puts up a really good fight, but does not come out of it unscathed. The "man" then renames Jacob to Israel, meaning "striving with God" or "may God prevail".

I find it interesting that we sometimes think we can outsmart or fight God.  Oh, let me be on God's side!!!  Please, Lord, help me be on Your side!!!  Then even though I fail Him, I will not fail.,, HIS grace is sufficient for me!

(2 Corinthians 12:9)  "And He has said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.'  Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me."

No comments: