Wednesday, March 8, 2017

JESUS and the Reminder to Isaac (Gen.23-26)

Isaac was married when he was 40, and was 60 when his wife Rebekah had twin boys.  Now, I'm not going to mention every time the Bible says "the LORD appeared" because this happens a lot, and we are not sure how... or if this would be God physically manifesting Himself.  But in the following verses, we have the LORD reminding Isaac of the Abrahamic Covenant.  Included in this is the prophecy regarding Jesus' coming to earth as a Savior for all people...

(Genesis 26:1-5)  Now there was a famine in the land, besides the previous famine that had occurred in the days of Abraham. So Isaac went to Gerar, to Abimelech king of the Philistines. 2  The Lord appeared to him and said, “Do not go down to Egypt; stay in the land of which I shall tell you. 3   Sojourn in this land and I will be with you and bless you, for to you and to your descendants I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath which I swore to your father Abraham. 4  I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven, and will give your descendants all these lands; and by your descendants all the nations of the earth shall be blessed; because Abraham obeyed Me and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes and My laws.”

Ironically, after hearing from God, Himself, Isaac goes to the land of Gerar and falls into the same sin - tells the same lie about his wife being his sister - as his father had done two times in the past.  It is not too surprising, since we are influenced by our parents so much.  We tend to "inherit" both the good and the bad traits of our earthly parents.

But seeing how faithful God is and how He protects the wife and works the entire situation out... my question is - why would we not want God as our perfect heavenly Father?  And once we are children of God, why would we not desire to be more and more like Him?...  Naturally, this requires getting to know Him better... relying on Him for strength, guidance, love, purpose... having a personal relationship with the all-powerful, all-knowing Creator of the universe!  Well - why would we not want to rely on Him for EVERYTHING???!!!  Clearly, things go better when we do things God's way!  I can speak from my own personal experiences.

And Jesus is our example.  God's only Son - in complete obedience and unity with God - performs miracles... demonstrates perfect love... has victory over death.

No comments: